GFX card crashing on full load?

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
So I have an old computer and was trying to get the most out of it by buying a used Palit 8800 GT Super + 1GB a while ago for $20 bucks replacing my old 9500gt. But whenever I play any games such as Tribes Ascend or Batman Arkham on higher graphics (Max res. 1443x768) my screen freezes and my gfx card crashes and I don't know why. Using MSI afterburner my fan speed is auto and never needs to go over 70% and my card temp is always 70°c or under on full load.

Full Specs:
MoBo: Asus M2N-SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
RAM: 6 GB
GFX: Palit 8800 GT Super+ 1GB
PSU: Corsair TX650 (Brand new just got this in case I ever wanted to build a new comp down the line)

It's definitely getting enough power and the temp doesn't seem high enough to justify the crash. It's only when I go on high settings it seems. Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

hey okay so I just ran the furmark burn in test for 20 minutes and I was wrong about a couple of things. 1) Max res is 1336*768 and 2) the max temp it goes is 85°c not anywhere near 70°c.

So after 20 minutes of burn in it didn't crash. I took a screen shot but can't find it so here were the results:

Open GL Renderer: 8800gt/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Usage: 99% Mem Usage: 10%
GPU temp min: 61°c Max 85°c

Burn in at 1366*768 AA: 2xMSAA

Did I do that right?

I'll be doing a memtest now or when I can considering its 4am

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

So I ran a memtest (I know you're suppose to do each stick individually but I tested them all at the same time so I hope that's okay)

I got 1 pass and 0 errors.

Could it still be my memory? And if not what else could it be? (CPU? HDD?)

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

So I did more passes and still no errors. My graphics drivers are up to date. Is there any other test I can run to figure it out?

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Is that suppose to be a joke? My computer runs fine for everything that I need from editing, browsing reddit, and gaming on mid graphics (League of Legends). It's only when I play things like Tribes: Ascend or Batman Arkham that my gfx card crashes which is weird.

Wufang9

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

The reason I say this is because I've put in my old 9500gt and it works fine. It's just a crap card apparently and evidently/obviously a problem with the gfx card and not the OS software which would be a strange thing to think in the first place b/c all the problems arose from changing the graphics card. Another reason I ask if it's a joke is b/c could you imagine this thought process for just a second. "hmm, the graphics card is making my computer crash, but it was working with the other one...oh well better reinstall windows." And you wrote it on both of the posts I made....

TRENDING THREADS