SCSI Controller & Hard Drive

G

Hi Everyone,

I'm setting up a gaming server, and I'm not too sure what kind of hard drive or SCSI controller I should get.

My main concerns are reliability, speed and price, you'll see this is important to me, cause it needs to access a database and write information to on a 24/7 basis. As well as run the gaming servers.

Here's my configuration so far, please tell what should be changed or added and the reason why.

Intel Pentium 4 1.5 GHz CPU
Asus P4T i850 Chipset 423 ATA100 /400 Mhz Hard Drives
512 MB or Rambus RAM
nVidia Riva TNT2 m64 32 MB
SCSI Controller (thinking about one from Adaptec or please recommend, but not sure which one, I don't need hard drive mirroring, I prefer software mirroring)
2X18 GB Seagate Hard Drive SCSI (for mirroring)
3COM 3C905CX-TXNM network Card

I also need the SCSI card to support a tape backup, if required in the future.

Any help in resolving this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

G

>>My main concerns are reliability, speed and price<<

Well, yeah but in what order??? In that order with just 2 drives and 18G being enough space you could throw them on an Adaptec 39160 or the Tekram 390U3 series work just as good. Both have pure dual channels, which I always liked if you were going to mix LVD/SE devices such as the tape drive, some choose just to use another controller for those devices. I'd recommend a seperate drive for the OS especially for software RAID.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
as usual it all comes down on how much your willing to spend, u can go SCSI crazy on your system and do a giant SCSI based computer -fast,reliable and stable.
P4 is good for netorking as far as the tests go processor wise, thogh in every network device the most important is your link to the web- what kind of a connection your going to use, this would cost you the main bucks.
dont go and buy the best mechine you can right away, i dont know the hardware requirements for the software your going to run on your server, so u need to test it first, so start simple including your bandwidth then see what and how much you need and how much it will cost you.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>