Can router work behind switch?

Jdavis37

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Let me start by saying I hate networking and find it about as pleasant as a root canal :) Anyhow, that said i can usually figure things out but just get no enjoyment form it.

I currently have a Netgear 824V2 router. I use one of the 4 ports to hardwire my desktop and had used a second port to hardwire our Direct TV download device. Problems started with my PC or our laptop losing connectivity. I updated firmware and disconnected the Direct TV device.

I decided to get a switch and bought the TRENDnet TEG-S50g. I connected things as follows:

Cable Modem---->Switch --------> destop
---------> router----------->wireless devices

Fist boot up the desktop worked but laptop could not connect. Few reboots later, laptop worked but desktop would not. It was as if the switch would allow one or the other to work.

Is there a way to align a system in this order? I want my desktop to be off the router entirely. With my lack of networking knowledge this is probably something very basic but could use the help! Thanks John

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Yes you need to have your router first.
Your ISP only gives you 1 IP address aka 1 device can be connected at the same time. that is why some times your computer works and other times your laptop works. The router can "share" that 1 IP with the rest of the of the network.

Jdavis37

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Thx to all and makes sense. Was hoping to avoid buying another router and going through the security setup for the other devices. Realize it isn't *that* difficult but it adds to the list of things I'm behind on. Perhaps will wait and see if the current router's Ethernet ports continue to have problems. Updated firmware last week in hopes it would help. Appreciate the fast replies and for taking the time to help!