*HELP* PC would crash ramdonly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2013
Recently I found out my PC would crash randomly whether it is watching YouTube or while playing a game; even though it is rare that happens. and it would just restart without any blue screen of death.
it didn't get my attention until i found out my aftermarket CPU cooler did not fully contact the CPU.
and this happened because i shipped my PC to another counter and it might have caused this.
then i begin to worried that it might have damaged my CPU.
I did some tests with my video card and ram to ensure it wasn't them that's causing the system to shut down itself.
I tried to run prime torture test. If i use the ( in-place large FFTs and BLEND ) test, it would take about 20 second for the FFTs one to crash and about 5 second for BLEND test to crash.

this is a picture of running prime using first option in torture test=:)
http://imageshack.us/f/715/54619653.jpg/

so my question is what tests should i run to make sure it is the CPU issue or what i can do at this moment.
Please help.

My setup,

CPU: i5 3570K
Cooler: Cooler Naster Hyper N520
Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
GPU: EVGA GTX 480
PSU: OCZ 750W
Case: NZXT PHantom

*EDITED*
I'm sorry i forgot to mention this, but i did not overclock my cpu at all.
and it would run as high as 90+ C.....
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/mikeyoung12/new/2b73fd1d0b_zps1027ee21.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/mikeyoung12/new/2_zps6bc0c74a.jpg

Solution
you can attach the cooler to a different mobo header. you can also check the fan speed management through BIOS and reset it to system managed or auto. Better yet, reset the BIOS itself to default and see if it makes a difference.

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
If this is your "fixed" system I would still be looking to be cooler, but that's just me. It looks like your still overclocked 200mhz? I would knock that off until you have it sorted out..

satyamdubey

Distinguished
+1 for scott. There could still be thermal issue. I would suggest you try an IPDT run. That's Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool. Download from Intel's site. It will log the temps it reaches while running the diagnostics and will perform a cpu load test as well.

Ideally, cpu speed should throttle as temps close to TjMax or simply the maximum rated cpu operation temp. I cant access the link you've provided but If it just reboots without a warning, Overclock could be a major reason like scott pointed out.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
that is just the turbo kicking in. 3.6 is 4 core max turbo for 3570K. I find one thing pretty odd and that is the fact that your minimum temps are pretty good. Its the temp scaling that is an issue.

I feel there is a problem with the cooler or its rpm management. Your cooler is probably not speeding up under load. HOw much thermal compound did you use? Also can you visually inspect if your mobo is bending under cooler weight.

and another thing, can you install your stock cooler and see the temp performance?

satyamdubey

Distinguished
you can attach the cooler to a different mobo header. you can also check the fan speed management through BIOS and reset it to system managed or auto. Better yet, reset the BIOS itself to default and see if it makes a difference.

Solution
Jan 23, 2013
i think you are correct about the rpm issue. I did a default on the bios and found out the cpu fan settings is "full on" instead of "automatic".and by default, it is on "full on" i thought full on would provide max fan output but i guess im wrong. using default's setting did help about the crash using prime.
the temperature is about 70+C at 100% cpu load. instead of 90+C like before after changing bio's setting.
it wouldn't crash right away when i do the torture test on second and third settings but it froze when i use blend test and it still crash without any warning using second torture test.
the amount of thermal compound i applied is about the size of a rice.
it doesnt seem like my mobo is bending under cooler weight.

and sorry i gave my stock fan to my friend so im unable to install the stock fan to check the temp performance.

Jan 23, 2013
i passed the IPDT test btw

satyamdubey

Distinguished

satyamdubey

Distinguished
TjMax is the maximum allowed junction temperature for your cpu cores. Once it is reached, your cpu will start throttling its speed down. for ivy bridges, tjmax is 105 Centigrade.

The further you are from it, the cooler your core is running. distance to tjmax varies for every core depending on individual core load.

when you ran IPDT, in the end, it would have also told you how far you were from max temp. you can actually co relate what IPDT says with what your other temp monitoring software is saying.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
there is also another temp which is "T case". while tjmax is read by temp diodes situated near the cpu cores, Tcase is read at cpu heat spreader. The shiny metal part your heat sink touches. It is considerably lower than your TjMax as it is a point of active heat dissipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.