Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 SC 1GB Pink Screen of Death

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2012 8:39:48 AM

Hey guys

i recently recieved a pink screen of death whilst watching a flash video, ive had the newest nvidia driver for 2 months and ive recieved no issues, my average temps are 32-45 degrees, even when playing games such as battlefield 3 etc

The entire screen and items on the screen went pink and then the system crashed entirely

Ive read multiple posts and seen multiple people with this issue + the latest nvidia drivers, but i havnt seen a "solution" or confirmation that its a problem with the driver exactly.

Some people on this forum have said that rolling back the driver does it, and one guy said he changed his dvi cable

So my question is, has anyone else had this issue with an nvidia card and the latest nvidia driver. and what was your solution to the problem

Mainly i want to know its not just me. because frankly,i cant afford a new graphics card
July 21, 2012 4:36:16 PM

While I havn't had the issue myself it seems like you have a couple options:

A) if it's only happened once don't sweat it, stuff happens.
B) if it happens/happened more than once then give the driver rollback a try and see if that fixes it. People seem to have had success with it, so there's really no reason not to try.
m
l
October 1, 2012 7:18:39 PM

I'm having the same problem on my Win XP, so it is not a Win7 issue alone.
I've also noticed that when playing games, the pc doesn't crash completely. But if I am using a program at the same time as the explorer exe., like surfing (or anything that leaves the explorer exe. visible in the bottom of the screen), everything has to be restarted.
When playing games the only thing I've had to do is press Alt + Tab and then reselect that program from the explorer bar, it works normaly again.

It could be an error in windows too, because sometimes the mouse can be moved on the screen although everything else has frozen.

I have a 460 OC though, but the differences should be minor
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2012 8:23:55 PM

Is this the Gigabyte model? Pull the card out and pop off the cooler then inspect for any burn marks or discolorations near the power vrm. These cards can be deceptive that the core runs cool while the rest of the card can easily exceed 115c on the power vrm. Clean up any dust and don't depend on the stock fan profiles. Beyond that how long have you been using the card. If you were able to figure at least in the rough how many hours total would be great then I can determine what to expect. Most usually started having problems after only 3-6 months of use. (around 1500-2000 hours)
m
l
November 23, 2012 6:43:59 PM

nforce4max said:
Is this the Gigabyte model? Pull the card out and pop off the cooler then inspect for any burn marks or discolorations near the power vrm. These cards can be deceptive that the core runs cool while the rest of the card can easily exceed 115c on the power vrm. Clean up any dust and don't depend on the stock fan profiles. Beyond that how long have you been using the card. If you were able to figure at least in the rough how many hours total would be great then I can determine what to expect. Most usually started having problems after only 3-6 months of use. (around 1500-2000 hours)

Yes it is the gigabyte model, but mine isn't 3-6 months old, it is closer to 23 months old and I think I could have come into the range of 1500 hours by now. BUT I have been experiencing crashes for a year now and the computer has become overheated a couple of times when playing Skyrim on full graphics, and Crysis (anti-aliasing not included in either, and the video card doesn't even allow me to play Crysis, and a few other games, on max settings, only very high which is very odd indeed). And dear lord the fans of the card are loud :p .

I've vacuum cleaned it and it helped a bit, it crashes about 25% less, but I have also been playing less. The card has slowed down maybe 10 FPS compared to last year(Skyrim i.e) and warranty hasn't passed yet, so I have considered changing it for a new one or another model.

I'm quite sure it doesn't have to do with the drivers since it has been a problem for so long and I've been updating them regularly.
m
l
!