Sign in with
Your question

1st Ever build need help and feedback.

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 4:32:40 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: November-December

Budget Range: 2000 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the Internet, School Work(Programming(Visual Studio 2010), MS office, Maya)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Windows 7 Home Premium should be fine.

Location: Singapore, however I am only looking for build advice and should be able to find the parts locally.

Parts Preferences: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gTpE I was thinking of those parts however I am open to change.

SLI or Crossfire: I will want to either Crossfire or SLI in the future by adding a second card to my system.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I will mostly be playing games such as Guild Wars 2, League of Legends, Starcraft 2 , World of Warcraft, diablo 3 and battlefield 3. I would like to be able to run a few programs in the background without my computer slowing down or having issues. As I am only really looking for which parts to go for atm I do not have any preferred website for parts.

If there is anymore information need please let me know!
Thanks in advance! :D 

More about : 1st build feedback

September 8, 2012 4:55:39 PM

First slight question. Why do you want i7 and 16gb RAM. It has no advantage for gaming (in fact for virtually anything), over i5 and 8gb RAM. The only sort of stuff that NEEDS more is high-end photography and design.
Leaving that to one side. I would suggest such a build DESERVES a good CPU cooler. Noctua do possibly the best air coolers, or even Coolermaster Hyper212 EVO, if you don't want to overclock, agressively.
I would suggest changing SSD to either Samsung 830, or Crucial M4. Much better.
With modern GPU's, even 2 in SLi, don't really need 1000W (unless you are thinking of a third). Not a great fan of Coolermaster, for PSU's. Would suggest something like Corsair HX850, or similar size Seasonic xseries, would be good.
As I said, you need to think about i7 and 16gb. That, and subject to the above, rest basically ok.
September 8, 2012 5:35:21 PM

malbluff said:
First slight question. Why do you want i7 and 16gb RAM. It has no advantage for gaming (in fact for virtually anything), over i5 and 8gb RAM. The only sort of stuff that NEEDS more is high-end photography and design.
Leaving that to one side. I would suggest such a build DESERVES a good CPU cooler. Noctua do possibly the best air coolers, or even Coolermaster Hyper212 EVO, if you don't want to overclock, agressively.
I would suggest changing SSD to either Samsung 830, or Crucial M4. Much better.
With modern GPU's, even 2 in SLi, don't really need 1000W (unless you are thinking of a third). Not a great fan of Coolermaster, for PSU's. Would suggest something like Corsair HX850, or similar size Seasonic xseries, would be good.
As I said, you need to think about i7 and 16gb. That, and subject to the above, rest basically ok.

I was going for an i7 because after looking at my friend's gaming PCs they seem to go for i7s however if there is no advantage in getting an i7 over an i5 3570k. As for 16gb RAM I was thinking of getting either 8gb or 16gb and thought there were advantages in going for 16gb which is my bad I did not do enough research sorry. I was not really sure of what CPU coolers and would consider on getting the coolermaster as I do not think I will be overclocking much. Will also be changing the SSD to one of those suggested. I will also change the PSu to one of those suggested. I was also wondering if I should change the GPU to an 7970? Thanks for the help and suggestions! :D 
!