Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need advice for Mobo & PSU for i5 2550k

Last response: in Components
January 23, 2013 7:55:30 AM

Hi all, need some advice on picking my mobo and psu. Got myself a i5 2550k for $130 so now I'm stuck with only the CPU and my 4yrs old C2D rig with me. I'm an avid gamer + I love to play MMORPG in windowed mode with a media player playing video running always on top + 2 fb game running in chrome. PC run 24/7 for as long as it can, only off for repair & dusting.

What I have that I'll reuse for this 2550k.
1. Dell u2312hm
2. CM Storm Trooper
3. Silverstone ST56F (560w) 80% eff. I reckon I can still use this but I'm thinking of getting a new PSU.
4. Sapphire 6850 1gb (til maybe HD8xxx or GTX7xx)
5. X-FI audigy
6. 640gb WD Blue

So now I'm missing RAM & mobo. It seems like the CAS latency for RAM is not that important nowadays so I'll settle for kingston 1600mhz 4gb x2. Not a stranger to OC (been OC'ing since pentium 2) but I've been way out of the tech for a long time so it'd be great for any of you master help me out here. Prefer a mobo that is durable that's CF/SLI ready. Been looking at Asrock Z77 Extreme6 or maybe Asrock Z77 Extreme3 if the USB 3.0 is not that useful. Same thing for the PSU too, durable and wattage that'll be able to support CF. Budget for both mobo and psu are $300. Would be great if it's cheaper but if need be, I can throw in another $100. My plan is to game with this rig for another 3years+ (hopefully) and to upgrade my GPU this mid year. I'm open to all suggestions (even like painting my casing pink). Thank you for spending your precious time reading this.

More about : advice mobo psu 2550k

January 23, 2013 11:20:48 AM

Asrock Extreme6 should do the job fine.USB3.0 is quite useful though if you do lot of data transfers through usb3.0 devices.
For PSU you can check corsair tx850v2 or something like Seasonic M12II-850.There are plenty of options to choose from.
Related resources
January 23, 2013 2:20:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. That's plenty for me to research on. Off to read some review now. Will let you guys know my decision then.
January 23, 2013 2:42:13 PM

Real quick:

Next 24 hours from Newegg: Corsair TX 750 $59.99 With Promo Code: EMCYTZT2832

Asrock z77 has my vote. I love my Ext 4.

Good Luck !!
January 25, 2013 6:45:44 AM

After over a day worth of research, I've decided to go for ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (open box from newegg).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Don't really care if in box items are missing:
- 1 x ASRock SLI_Bridge_2S Card
- Quick Installation Guide, Support CD, I/O Shield
- 2 x SATA Data Cables

Main reason I pick it is due to the price for open box now is $83.99! Was torn in between all 4 of them (asus, gigabyte, asrock & msi) for over a day til I saw the promo. Other determining factor are those onboard reset/power button. I find them really useful. But the 2years warranty is a real turn off.
The rest it's almost equal other than GB's mSata that might be useful. Auto-oc from Asus and GB looks good but I can live without or with something subpar.

As for psu, going for Corsair TX850. Missed the TX750 at $59.99! Thanks for the code though. Appreciate it.
January 25, 2013 6:45:58 AM

Best answer selected by firesphere.
January 25, 2013 6:56:50 AM

Noob12 said:
AsRock extreme 4 is good. It only has 2 year warranty. So id take a gigabyte X-D3H orX-UD3H
Ram 8GB 1600MHz Gskill Ares.
PSU: SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Id take SSD too. Samsung 830/840pro 120-256GB.

All the replies are equally great. Picked best for the RAM and SSD suggestion. Ares is really gonna be great for my cpu setting when I mount a big cooling on it. Else I might be pulling my hair off due to the anxiety of knowing that I must strip a heatsink off 1 of my RAM. Wasn't paying much attention to ssd since I already have 5 HDD BUT did some heavy reading and found out it'll be great for me where I run my pc 24/7 forever. Will make a great addition to my collection of hdd.
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 1:32:49 AM

with two stick of ram read the mb guild for the two ram slots to use. then put one stick in then without any paste on the cpu cooler try a dry fit. you see with the heat sink if the ram is too tall it will hit the bottom of the heat sink.
!