Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with my new gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 5:23:13 PM

I usually make purchases through alienware and after some quick research I realized how much I've over paid in the past. Anyways, here is what I'm considering. I5 2500k vs the ivy bridge i5. Nvidia gtx 660 ti. Z77 mother board. Windows 7 home premium 16 gig Kingston. I'm clueless about psu as I want to sli in the future. And I'm not sure on the case as well. I'm building this comp to surpass my old alienware mx11. My budget is roughly 1000. I would still need a monitor as well. Info on specific parts to buy would be appreciated. Games I play total war series, gmod, arma 2/dayz, bf3, far cry series etc

More about : gaming rig

September 8, 2012 5:39:07 PM

2 questions. Why 16gb RAM, no point in more than 8 for gaming. Most important. Where are you ie budget 1000 what?
m
l
September 8, 2012 5:48:08 PM

A frIend told me It would help renderIng projects In maya (from autodesk). Max budget is 1200, but I would prefer closer to a thousand.
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2012 5:50:05 PM

U.S. dollars. Sry I forgot people come to this site with different currency
m
l
September 8, 2012 6:43:29 PM

CptSnuggle said:
A frIend told me It would help renderIng projects In maya (from autodesk). Max budget is 1200, but I would prefer closer to a thousand.

Yes. Useful for that sort of stuff, or high end photgraphy work, not much else. Just wanted to be sure you didn't think you needed that for gaming, or general purpose.
m
l
September 8, 2012 7:05:41 PM

Okay. So can you recommend part list that's compatible with what I listed. LIke a Z77 board and a good gtx 660 tI. I'm a newbie to building and to forums. I've read various posts on sandy vs ivy i5's so I'm somewhat informed on the two. My main concern is for everything to match correctly like this gpu not blocking a future sli on the board and for good air flow. My current comp runs extremely hot on the cpu above 80 CELSIUS. and I'm completely lost as to what psu I will need. Thanks for help
m
l
September 8, 2012 7:37:01 PM

I was in the process of putting something together for you, but as you've mentioned SLi, do you want system to allow "room" for that. On the subject of i5's; Ivybridge is just plain better, and, as it's virtually same price, higher performance, better features, and up to date, it's the best choice, UNLESS you are interested in extreme overclocking, almost for overclocking's sake. No problem putting something together, but would do it with Ivybridge, unless you specifically want Sandy.
m
l
September 8, 2012 7:51:53 PM

Thanks for all the help, And yes sli room would be appreciated. Also the Ivy brIdge sounds good to me.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:37:35 PM

Ok. I will see what I can do. Without making compromises, should be able to keep within 1200, as long as you don't want that to INCLUDE monitor.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:42:21 PM

I'm not to concerned with a display my wife is the one that needs a cheap one. I use hdmi to connect my comps to a t.v. so a cheap display and the oem windows 7 home premium is part of the budget unfortunately.
m
l
September 8, 2012 11:21:36 PM

If it's to much trouble with the monitor then you can keep it out
m
l

Best solution

September 8, 2012 11:50:35 PM

Something like this should meet most of your requirements. It's a little over your budget so if you can't afford it you can leave out either the SSD or the monitor.

One other option if you're ready to buy now is that if you get the motherboard from Newegg (same price as Amazon but adds $7.50 shipping) it comes with free 8 Gb of GSkill RAM. If you can live with that (for a while at least) you can save $70 which takes the build right to your $1200 limit and lets you keep both SSD and monitor.
September 9, 2012 10:34:07 AM

lighter17 said:
Something like this should meet most of your requirements. It's a little over your budget so if you can't afford it you can leave out either the SSD or the monitor.

One other option if you're ready to buy now is that if you get the motherboard from Newegg (same price as Amazon but adds $7.50 shipping) it comes with free 8 Gb of GSkill RAM. If you can live with that (for a while at least) you can save $70 which takes the build right to your $1200 limit and lets you keep both SSD and monitor.

Nice build. In all main components (except I was leaving out monitor, as OP can "work around" that), identical to build I was doing. The only slight area of doubt I would have, is that I've heard of some reliability/warranty issues with Seagate. Was intending to offer the more expensive WD Caviar Black, but whether the better warranty is worth an extra $20, is of course debatable. There are savings that can be made, if necessary, like CPU overclocking, but build best meets OP's wish list.
m
l
September 9, 2012 1:49:57 PM

Best answer selected by CptSnuggle.
m
l
!