Desktop Home Build (First Time!) Around $1,500

philman311

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
First time tom's hardware user here, found the site and I think it's a great resource. I'm hoping that some of you out there can help me with my first desktop build(!) - so here goes:

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week

Budget Range: I'd like to stay under $1,500, $1,600 is a hard limit (this is price without a monitor)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Software development, statistical modeling, then casual computing (web surfing/email/etc, probably not a lot of gaming)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, but I'm not really worried about that. Unless it will impact components I'll look at that separately.

Parts to Upgrade: Everything (or nothing, depending on how you look at it) - this is a brand new system and I have no existing parts.

Do you need to buy OS: No, I have a friend at Microsoft who can help me with that. It'll probably be Windows Professional.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not important, but since it's my first time doing this I'd like a site with good customer service and one that doesn't look sketchy when I visit it

Parts Preferences: I've heard that Intel CPU's are generally better than AMD, and I don't mind spending extra money for better performance. I want something that I won't have to upgrade for a few years. I also want to make sure that my memory is easily upgradable, so 32GB capacity or more would be great (I probably don't need more than 16GB to start with, though)

Overclocking: Probably not, I'm taking this one step at a time.

SLI or Crossfire: I'm not looking for a gaming box, so my inclination would be no.

Your Monitor Resolution: I was going to get this last of all, probably 1920 x 1080 just because that seems pretty common. No preference, really.

Additional Comments: I've been to a few sites and browsed through this one, but like I said this is my first time and I'm still a bit nervous and feel a little overwhelmed. Any tips or resources you have would be much appreciated!

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My old laptop is just too old (it was a bargain priced laptop maybe 5 years ago, needed it for college) and even though my company has said they're fine with me doing personal work on their laptop I really want my own workstation.