Sign in with
Your question

Random freezing, and nVidia drivers crashing, Win7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2012 1:03:42 PM

Hi,

Recently my computer has been having random freezes (everything freezes up, mouse included), but if you wait a few minutes it unfreezes. Occasionally I get a message saying " nVidia display drivers have stopped working and have recovered"

Specs:
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Intel i-5 3.30 Ghz
4GB Ram
Geforce 560 Ti

I have tried reinstalling drivers, different driver versions, etc. Nothing has worked yet.

Does this mean it is my videocard itself that is the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
a b Î Nvidia
July 21, 2012 1:07:05 PM

What's your power supply? When does it freeze? When you're gaming or when you're not doing anything graphical?
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:17:39 PM

Sunius said:
What's your power supply? When does it freeze? When you're gaming or when you're not doing anything graphical?

Hi,

This is my power supply: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

And it freezes with games, but sometimes just when using things like Firefox(videos particularly) or Steam aswell.

I have also had Windows 7 ask me multiple times if I want to change to Basic Colours to improve performance.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
July 21, 2012 1:37:53 PM

I'm afraid the video card might be faulty. I'd contact the Warranty service.
m
l
July 21, 2012 3:01:49 PM

Sunius said:
I'm afraid the video card might be faulty. I'd contact the Warranty service.

I found a few suggestions in here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpr...

And I havent had a freeze for awhile now. (Fingers crossed).

I changed my Vid Card power option to " maximize performance" and I put the quality on Balanced.

Edit: still getting freezes, they just seem less frequent now
m
l
November 3, 2012 6:40:20 PM

Still having problems with freezing. Have been talking to EVGA, and have tested another video card in my system and it still freezes. I am really lost and frustrated about what to do to fix this problem.

Freezing mostly happens either watching videos on youtube or steam, or sometimes when playing games or music. Most freezes dont come up with the display drivers message anymore
m
l
November 5, 2012 10:30:51 PM

Anyone have any ideas?
m
l
November 25, 2012 3:44:27 AM

i would check the driver, nvidia defaults to 20% fan speed, i had similar problems,installed ntune and manually set the fan to 100%,problem has not returned. if anyone knows of a better software package other than ntune ,let us know,
m
l
April 23, 2013 6:04:35 PM

Look this is a random stab in the dark here, this sort of used to happen to me. It wouldnt crash pre windows but when it was on idle on desktop my GPU would go 100% and then crash the drivers and windows driver recovering timing thing would kick in and recover my drivers. Turns out its a bitcoin mining malware that manifests itself in C://Temporary and runs as ieghutil.exe or something along the lines, like a fake IE utility. Got rid of that EVERYTHING was solved!
m
l
October 15, 2013 7:44:08 AM

That is totaly known problem with nvidia cards and drivers. For fixing it you just need to give a card more voltage. That means u need to Overclock it a bit only for 30-40 mhz, also put your gpu cooler on 55% from default 30%. For all of that use Asus GPU Twear or Msi Afterburner. After that do one cool stress test with OCCT or Furemark at least for 5 hours. And post about the changes.
m
l
2 minutes ago

Still happening. I have a GTX650 Ti Boost.

Freezes even on 314, which is the driver most folk find OK. Freezes on any driver after that, which I have tries. Two BSOD on drivers after 314. Two is not as bad as some get, but it still worries the heck out of me.
m
l
!