CPU core temp rising too quickly and too much!!

nishad_0963

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hi,
My CPU core temperature is rising too much and too quickly. I have checked it with HWmonitor and Intel extreme tuning utility.

My Specs:

Gigabyte H67-MA-D2H
Intel core i5 2300 2.80 GHz (Sandy Bridge)
RAM-6 GB
No external GPU.
PSU- 500W (Non-brand)

When I started the PC, the temp was 71C but after playing The Sims 3 for around 30 mins it's 87C. If had kept playing the game for some more time i would have gotten a black screen with static line on the left, Computer hanged. So, I am wondering what's wrong, and if it's a problem with the Processor fan or the Motherboard Heat Sync.

G

just a quick reply, make sure heat sink and fan is working and fan speed is correct, add new thermal grease then re-seat the cpu cooler , if that fails replace heat sink for new higher TDP one also make sure computer case has enuff cool air entering it

G

although its probs be your psu not upto it it will heat up your whole case and system air will be hot to cool cpu

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
How do you know if you kept playing it would have resulted in a "black screen with static line on the left, Computer hanged"

What are your GPU Temps ? and How old is the PC ?

A quick check for Dust & Dirt around the Case, CPU , Power Supply and Heat Sink Fans is the first thing you should check. Buy a can of compressed air and clean everything out if there is any Dirt & Dust build up, then monitor the Temps again to see if anything changes.

If no Dirt & Dust is found around the areas I mentioned then you might need to think about Re-Applying Thermal Paste. Do you best to purchase a good and reliable Thermal Paste and do apply a good amount.

nishad_0963

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
How do i know? because I played! That's why I checked the Temperature in the first place! :)

There was no GPU temp in that. I have no GPU other than the built-in Intel 2000. It's Only two years old (approx.).

And I am going to check the other suggestions and let you guys know, what happens.

PS.- I still have warranty, so should I just go to the service center. I don't want to go to service center if I can fix it. They take way too much time. :ange:

antherion

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
The idle temperature of 71C itself is problematic. My i5-3570 runs at 45C with stock fan on 22C ambient.
If you want to fix it, try reapplying thermal paste on the processor die and readjust the fan and make sure it is positioned and is running correctly.

nishad_0963

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I Just cleaned my CPU. the fans are working fine, i think. But still the temp is very high. I will turn off the PC now for cooling and check the temp when i turn on the PC some time later.

nishad_0963

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Yeah, that's what I think too, the idle temp is way too much. The stock fan is running at 1844 which i think is the highest. I never applied thermal paste before, so not sure how to do it.

nishad_0963

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

The fan is working fine, it's showing 1844. How do i Know if the heat sink is working properly?

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
A pea sized amount in the center of the CPU. Let the pressure of the cooler being applied spread it out.

If it is keeping your CPU cool, it is working properly. Is this the stock CPU fan? Is it just an aluminum block with a fan on top?

I'd say you definitely need a better fan. Hard to beat a coolermaster 212evo @ $25

nishad_0963

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Yeah, it's the stock fan. Just an aluminium block with a fan on top.

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I guess you need to apply a fresh coat of Thermal Paste then. You will need some Isopropanol, Lint free Cloth and your Thermal Paste.

Just make sure you totally wipe off any old Thermal Paste from both CPU Die & Heat Sink Surface before applying the new Thermal Paste. "Application Method" and "How Much" to apply is dependant on the type of Thermal Paste you buy.

nishad_0963

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Well, my problem is solved!!!!

It was a very unlikely solution. The problem was that, my brother exchanged his CPU fan with mine without even telling me! I noticed that tonight and got my fan back and now it's working fine. My CPU temp is 48C now, stable for the last an hour. So, Problem Solved!

But thank you guys a lot. Your attention was quick and I am sure would have worked if it was a serious problem.