Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A good silent case.

Last response: in Components
January 23, 2013 11:06:17 AM

Well, looks like there is finally a solid release date on Haswell, so I thought I would start buying the pieces to a new system over the next few months. What I want first is a good silent (or at least very quiet) case, and a solid reliable quiet powe supply.

Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of cases? I'd prefer no holes on the top of the case as well.

Edit: Also, the power supply should be in the 750 to 850 watts.

More about : good silent case

a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2013 4:06:49 PM

scannall said:
Well, looks like there is finally a solid release date on Haswell, so I thought I would start buying the pieces to a new system over the next few months. What I want first is a good silent (or at least very quiet) case, and a solid reliable quiet powe supply.

Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of cases? I'd prefer no holes on the top of the case as well.

Edit: Also, the power supply should be in the 750 to 850 watts.

My first suggestion is the Fractal Design R4, good quality case, it's silent, fits large graphics cards, and looks nice.
Also the Antec P280, it's a huge case and has everything you'll need, and they're going to release a white version with a window.

For the Power Supply go with Seasonic X Series (X750/X850) or Corsair HX750 or TX850 V2
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:16:17 PM

I am using CM Silent Pro 800w 80 gold certified PSU and most of the time i cant hear it at all.... And for quality i dont need say any more right? haha...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2013 4:18:19 PM

when it comes to silence and class then Fractal Design is the way to go. That is what they do best!
For power supplies, it kida depends on what you are looking for, but it is not hard to find a quiet/silent one. Even my relatively cheap OCZ PSU is extremely quiet. Probably the quietest noise producing product in my computer, and I am really picky about sound.

Just go with a name brand PSU that has a single 120+mm fan, they are all pretty quiet. Seasonic, and Corsair are both great.

I highly dobut you will need a 750-850W PSU. All of the new GPUs are pretty nice on power, new HDDs and SSDs are not as power hungry as they once were, and Haswell takes next to no power (especially if not using the onboard GPU), so even if you are SLIing some pretty high end GPUs you are probably only looking at something in the 700W range. Just plan your build first, put the parts in a power calculator, and then see what it suggests.
January 23, 2013 4:21:31 PM

I purchased a Corsair 550D for similar reasons as you listed. It's good looking (subjective), pretty quiet and still has decent thermal characteristics. However, my case arrived damaged, Corsair put me through RMA hell, the replacement part was damaged in shipping and I'm still missing my side panel while I wait for a second replacement. Never again Corsair... never again! Caveat emptor!
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:27:03 PM

Best answer selected by scannall.
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:28:22 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. The Fractal Designs does look interesting. You could be right about the power supply requirements. My current rig has an 850, but it has an OC'd i7-920 and a couple of 6870 video cards.
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:40:38 PM

I'm running an OC'd i920 on a 620psu, only 1 gpu though. (gtx570)
m
l
!