Sign in with
Your question

GTX 690 EVGA - Performance Issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2012 2:00:33 PM

G'Day All,

Got myself a new GTX 690 EVGA. Installed and run for a week on stock air cooler (60-70deg Max). Was getting P14,594 in 3Dmark2011. Awesome :D  BF3 on Ultra > 100 FPS. Stable, no issues :wahoo: 

Took card out, installed XSPC Razor water block (25-36deg Max). Now I'm getting P8,428 in 3Dmark2011. :fou:  WTF :fou:  BF3 < 60 FPS :non: 

Now before you reply to this thread, please read the following......

NOTHING CHANGED ON MY COMPUTER BETWEEN GPU COOLING UPGRADES!! No Window updates, no patches, no drivers, no hardware (other than the GPU Cooler). Cabling, power cords, etc... all hooked up correctly.

So I thought maybe it wasn't working in SLI. The settings said it was selected for SLI, I disabled it anyway and run 3DMark 2011 to get P5,420. Re-enabled it and got P8.5K again. IT'S NOT AN SLI ISSUE, do not tell me to enable SLI!!!

WTF could have gone wrong to make a card like this loose nearly 50% of it's power?? Has anyone else with a GTX 690 had any issues like?? If I did somehow manage to do any physical damage to the card (0.0001% chance as I've been doing this for years now), then why does it still work at all??

I did notice this in my 3DMark 2011 scores....
Score Before
P14594 3DMarks
Graphics Score
Physics Score
Combined Score

Score After
P8428 3DMarks
Graphics Score
Physics Score
Combined Score

My Physics Score (CPU Driven) stayed the same, but my GPU score clearly dropped by over 50%. WTF :fou: 

Full System Specs Below.

i7-2600K CPU @ 4.50GHz (Intel)
Z68X-UD4-B3 (Gigabyte)
8GB (G,Skill Ripjaws 2133MHz)
GTX 690 (EVGA)
120GB OCZ-VERTEX3
XSPC RX 360 Water Cooling Kit
XSPC Razor GTX 690 Block
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

Windows 7 64-bit (6.1.7601)
nVidia Drivers (301.42)

Any help would be great thanks (but only if you read the above and don't make stupid suggestions)

Cheer's Dozzel

July 21, 2012 2:17:21 PM

Ok uninstall the Nvidia drivers completely and reinstall them. Under the Nvidia Control Panel is your SLI setting set to Maximize 3D Performance? What kind of power supply do you have?

Lastly what are the Clock Speeds at this current time?
m
l
July 21, 2012 2:17:50 PM

Interesting. Was there a physical switch on the card that governed performance profiles that you may have inadvertently flicked while installing water block ?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 21, 2012 2:21:01 PM

Is your CPU still OC to 4.5?
m
l
July 21, 2012 2:43:18 PM

You can actually link us to the FutureMark website with your results. For example:
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3670107

We might be able to analyze better with that data.

My psychic debugging skills tell me SLI is turned off.
m
l
July 21, 2012 2:46:21 PM

I've got a 1000W PSU. Plenty of grunt there. Was running 2x GTX 470's without any problems.

My CPU has been OC to 4.5ghz for 9-10 months now, no worries at all, stable, has never crashed on me. Idles around 27deg and may crack 40deg under load. When I 1st put the GTX 690 in (air cooler), I also ran a benchmark @ stock 3.4ghz and got P13,587 3Dmarks 2011. So the OC or CPU isn't (shouldn't be) the issue.

I have EVGA Precision X running in the background, but I haven't OC'd the GPU at all. So there are no profiles that might effect the GPU performance. I used to run MSI Afterburner to OC my old GTX 470's, so I know what your talking about.

It went straight back into the top PCI-E x16 slot. I even connect the same HDMI port.

I had to disconnect the fan power and LED power cords when I removed the stock cooler. I tried Googling it without much success. Nothing jumped out and said this will cause issues either.

I'm about to take Redeemer's advice an reinstall the Drivers........

Thanks for your quick reply guys, wish me luck :) 
m
l
July 21, 2012 2:54:44 PM

Did you re-enable single display performance under nvidia options? Usually that gets set to multi-display by default which results in less framerates.
m
l
July 21, 2012 3:02:09 PM

Precision X should show you the actual gpu load on each of the 690s gpus. You may have SLI enabled, but I'll bet its only using one for some reason.
m
l
July 21, 2012 5:06:21 PM

I have two GTX 580's in SLI and had a similar issue....after a crash from overclocking mucked up my bios and I got my system back running it was really slow....about half of what it shoulda been.

I installed newest drivers and even did a clean install of the nvidia drivers....nothing worked. Finally I tried a restore point in Windows from before the event and voila...back to full speed. Not sure what it was in the end but something software for sure. I suspect your problem is in software too....
m
l
July 21, 2012 5:27:37 PM

It's not a SLI mode thing because even only one GPU of the 690 should get more than 60 fps in BF3...
m
l
July 21, 2012 5:29:49 PM

I really have no experience to draw from , but could the card clock down were it not to recognize it's original cooling solution present?
m
l
July 21, 2012 5:47:57 PM

Dude where's my fan? time for safe mode
m
l
July 21, 2012 7:18:40 PM

Try this, get the newest version of GPU-z (it is free), and open the sensors on your card. Tick the option to allow GPU-z to log temperatures and other data while it is in the background. Then, run a benchmark (or games) and when the benchmark is done, look at the data logged by GPU-z. Are both of your GPU's clocked at what they should be ? GPU-z will detect the operating frequencies and log them while you benchmark or game. If this value (GPU core speed) during benchmark isn't at what the card is supposed to do (about 1ghz), I'd say the cards are throttled by either software or BIOS because it doesn't recognize the current temperatures (which are way lower than stock) as valid in the range of operating temperatures, or it needs an RPM input from the fan sensor to work at full speed.
m
l
July 21, 2012 8:37:22 PM

Lol why would you even bother water cooling?Considering nvidia reference cooler is a piece of art.One of the best reference cooler ever used in any gpu.
m
l
July 21, 2012 8:49:43 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Try this, get the newest version of GPU-z (it is free), and open the sensors on your card. Tick the option to allow GPU-z to log temperatures and other data while it is in the background. Then, run a benchmark (or games) and when the benchmark is done, look at the data logged by GPU-z. Are both of your GPU's clocked at what they should be ? GPU-z will detect the operating frequencies and log them while you benchmark or game. If this value (GPU core speed) during benchmark isn't at what the card is supposed to do (about 1ghz), I'd say the cards are throttled by either software or BIOS because it doesn't recognize the current temperatures (which are way lower than stock) as valid in the range of operating temperatures, or it needs an RPM input from the fan sensor to work at full speed.

^ this
m
l
July 23, 2012 11:34:25 AM

Well it looks like I have partially solved the issue (and no it was not an SLI turned off problem :ouch: ). I just installed the BETA "304.48-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-english-beta" drivers. Running my CPU OC'd to the usual 4.5Ghz I manged to get the below......

Score 304.48 Drivers
P13130 3DMarks
Graphics Score
Physics Score
Combined Score

Not quite the P14594 I was getting before using the same settings, but much better than P8000 :non: 

Still a little baffled as to why I can't get back to my original score when nothing changed?? :pfff:  Hopefully the next official driver release will fix this issue properly and give me P15000+ scores :pt1cable:  Thanks to everyone who contributed.

m
l
!