Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does CPU impact FPS severely while gaming

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 23, 2013 11:08:04 AM

Hi experts just have a question about CPU and its influence on gaming, as Intel says a processor with integrated graphics like i5-3570k will give a lot of boost to graphics. Does this means do we still need a high priced GPU for playing games like Strategy based to be specific. Does this CPU influence FPS severely while gaming.

I am having 'GigaByte GV-NX84S512HP' (DDR2) from my older desktop which i am planning to use for the next few months in the below mentioned configuration (Planning to buy) will this be possible. Can i use a 600VA APC UPS for this new configuration or will it fall short on the power requirement.

Processor- i5 3570k
MOBO- ASUS P8H77-M
RAM - 4GB DDR3 1600
HDD- SATA WD Caviar Blue 500GB 6GB/s

My last question and a might be dumb question if i include a GPU to the above setup will that be addition to already existing graphics memory provided by both CPU & MOBO or replacement to that. what i meant is do i have to buy a high end or costly GPU irrespective of CPU & MOBO or since the mentioned combination is with in-build graphics a low end or less costly GPU will be enough.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2013 11:57:42 AM

If you have weak cpu with powerful gpu then you will get low fps.but in gaming gpu matters more than cpu.In gaming cpu < gpu 99% of the time.
m
0
l
a c 202 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2013 12:00:26 PM

For any sort of gaming integrated graphics are still not sufficient. They might be in the future, but not yet. You still require a discreet graphics card.

As for whether the integrated graphics improves FPS when using a discreet card.
No it does not.

BUT to answer the basic question, a CPU can influence FPS directly even with a discreet card installed. But you will not have this issue with the I5. It is currently the best gaming CPU, when considering price, you could have.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 12:03:23 PM

yrmahindra said:
Hi experts just have a question about CPU and its influence on gaming, as Intel says a processor with integrated graphics like i5-3570k will give a lot of boost to graphics. Does this means do we still need a high priced GPU for playing games like Strategy based to be specific. Does this CPU influence FPS severely while gaming.

I am having 'GigaByte GV-NX84S512HP' (DDR2) from my older desktop which i am planning to use for the next few months in the below mentioned configuration (Planning to buy) will this be possible. Can i use a 600VA APC UPS for this new configuration or will it fall short on the power requirement.

Processor- i5 3570k
MOBO- ASUS P8H77-M
RAM - 4GB DDR3 1600
HDD- SATA WD Caviar Blue 500GB 6GB/s


It will help games you play if they depend on the CPU. Games like BF3, Far Cry 3, and Skyrim. Need a good CPU but really need a better GPU. If that makes sense to you. Depending on what games your wanting to play I dont know if youll need one or not. But if your wanting to play pretty high end games your going to need a good GPU to back it up.
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 12:15:11 PM

Thanks for the reply's so i need to have at least a decent GPU for good gaming. About other questions can i use DDR2 GPU on ASUS P8H77-M MOBO without issues until i buy new one with DDR3 or DDR5 & APC 600VA UPS will it be sufficient for the below configuration.

Processor- i5 3570k
MOBO- ASUS P8H77-M
RAM - 4GB DDR3 1600
HDD- SATA WD Caviar Blue 500GB 6GB/s
Monitor- Samsung LED 20inch
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 12:18:06 PM

yrmahindra said:
Thanks for the reply's so i need to have at least a decent GPU for good gaming. About other questions can i use DDR2 GPU on ASUS P8H77-M MOBO without issues until i buy new one with DDR3 or DDR5 & APC 600VA UPS will it be sufficient for the below configuration.

Processor- i5 3570k
MOBO- ASUS P8H77-M
RAM - 4GB DDR3 1600
HDD- SATA WD Caviar Blue 500GB 6GB/s
Monitor- Samsung LED 20inch


The manual says not to since all 4 are ddr3 slots.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/P8H77-M-PRO/Manual/2630...
m
0
l
a c 98 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2013 12:18:07 PM

ASHISH65 said:
If you have weak cpu with powerful gpu then you will get low fps.but in gaming gpu matters more than cpu.In gaming cpu < gpu 99% of the time.

Depends a lot on the type of game.

yrmahindra said:
Thanks for the reply's so i need to have at least a decent GPU for good gaming. About other questions can i use DDR2 GPU on ASUS P8H77-M MOBO without issues until i buy new one with DDR3 or DDR5 & APC 600VA UPS will it be sufficient for the below configuration.

Processor- i5 3570k
MOBO- ASUS P8H77-M
RAM - 4GB DDR3 1600
HDD- SATA WD Caviar Blue 500GB 6GB/s
Monitor- Samsung LED 20inch

GPU memory does not matter with regard to the motherboard.
m
0
l
a c 98 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2013 12:19:51 PM

abCasPeRR said:
The manual says not to since all 4 are ddr3 slots.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/P8H77-M-PRO/Manual/2630...

Those slots are for system memory. GPU memory is up to the GPU manufacturer and doesn't affect compatibility with the motherboard or processor.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 12:21:43 PM

Sakkura said:
Those slots are for system memory. GPU memory is up to the GPU manufacturer and doesn't affect compatibility with the motherboard or processor.


My mistake, I was completely confused I didnt realize he said GPU in that post and I thought he was talking about RAM lol. Its 6:20am for me and I've been up all night so I skipped over that. Thanks for the correction.
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 12:23:26 PM

Once you go to higher resolutions like 1080p or higher with high in game details a capable gaming CPU is more than enough.GPU would matter the most here for majority of games.Only some CPU-dependent games would have some impact in case of considerably slower processor.At lower resolutions like 1280*720 the gaming is also very much CPU dependent.But that won't matter in majority of cases as most people are gaming on 1080p and some higher than that.
APC 600VA would be enough for your system even if you include an hd7850.
m
0
l
a c 202 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2013 12:28:52 PM

yrmahindra said:
Thanks for the reply's so i need to have at least a decent GPU for good gaming. About other questions can i use DDR2 GPU on ASUS P8H77-M MOBO without issues until i buy new one with DDR3 or DDR5 & APC 600VA UPS will it be sufficient for the below configuration.

Processor- i5 3570k
MOBO- ASUS P8H77-M
RAM - 4GB DDR3 1600
HDD- SATA WD Caviar Blue 500GB 6GB/s
Monitor- Samsung LED 20inch


Yes you can without any issues. Just be sure to remove drivers fully before installing the new card.
m
0
l
January 23, 2013 12:43:49 PM

Can i use windows XP on i5 3570k processor or it is must to have windows 7 as well since running games on windows 7 require high GPU than compared with windows XP, please correct me if i am wrong.
m
0
l
a c 202 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2013 1:00:14 PM

yrmahindra said:
Can i use windows XP on i5 3570k processor or it is must to have windows 7 as well since running games on windows 7 require high GPU than compared with windows XP, please correct me if i am wrong.


That is not the case AT ALL... New games would run BETTER on win7 than XP.

Use windows 7, its more RAM intensive than XP, but you won't have a problem there.
m
0
l
January 24, 2013 5:23:19 AM

Hi all thanks a lot for your valuable inputs finally i have decided to go with the below config. My decision to change the CPU was because anyway i have to buy a GPU which is must so why invest nearly 40$ more for just a little higher graphics which will make no difference with separate GPU. Decided to go with 8GB RAM & Windows 7.

CPU: i5-3570
MOBO: ASUS P8H77-M
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600
HDD: SATA 500GB WD Cavier Blue 6GB/Sec
GPU: Not yet decided having a lot of Budget constraints so currently sticking with old DDR2 only

m
0
l
!