Sign in with
Your question

Looking for Prebuilt $600 or less, can run games.

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 6:57:18 PM

Hi all. I am looking for a pre built computer (from any mainstream brand such as Dell, HP, Cyberpower, etc.) that would be able to run today's games (such as Valve's games and others) at decent settings and at an okay framerate. (I'm looking for 30 FPS or better on medium or high settings). My price limit is $600.

Any suggestions? Thank you all, and sorry for the lack of specifics.

More about : prebuilt 600 run games

September 8, 2012 11:35:27 PM

This is what I'd do with that budget:

Use this, especially the table on the last page, to pick a CPU. In your price range ($400 prebuilt system to which you will add a $150 to $200 video card) your processor should be an intel is-2120 or equivalent. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Make sure your prebuilt system has 4GB or more of memory and a 1 TB or larger 7200 rpm hard drive, win7 64bit and a 300W power supply. The power supply will be in the specs. There are many nice HPs out there with 300W PSUs. Get integrated video, you will not be using the video that comes with the system so don't spend money on it. Make sure the CASE for the prebuilt system is a MID TOWER that can take full size video cards, and not a slim or small form factor system.

Once you get the system upgrade the video. An HD7770 is $130 and works with a 300W power supply in a i3-2120 based system with over 100W of headroom.

Example : $430 http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-p7-1236s-Desktop-PC/...
HP Pavilion p7-1236s

Intel® Core™ i3-2120 3.3GHz 3MB Cache Processor
6GB DDR3 1600 Installed Memory, Expandable to 8GB
1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

IF you go the refurbished route for your prebuilt you can get an i5 for he same money.
September 8, 2012 11:49:27 PM

You need a monitor?
Related resources
September 9, 2012 2:46:28 PM

Hiii said:
You need a monitor?

Nope. I have a monitor already.

@tsnor: Those are some really damn good tips. I'll look into it in a bit.
September 9, 2012 3:51:57 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I am wondering what graphics cards would I be able to use for the computer tsnor suggested (http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-p7-1236s-Desktop-PC/...) . I looked it up and said it supported PCI Express x16, but would I be able to use a 2.0 x16 card with the computer?

Sorry for my lack of experience. :/ 
September 11, 2012 10:27:17 PM

dnlhern said:
...but would I be able to use a 2.0 x16 card with the computer?.... :/ 

Yes, fortunately PCIe is forward and backward compatible. You can put an old card in a new board and a new card in an old board.

Almost all nwe motherboard PCIe slots available now are PCIe 2.1 ... PCIe 3.0 is just emerging. Video cards are typically 2.0, 2.1 or 3.0 They all work together well.

The only restrictions on the video card you can include in a PC is the amount of power it takes and and the size of the card (you need to make sure the card fits physically in your case).

What PCIe 2.0 video card were you considering ?
September 11, 2012 10:33:57 PM

tsnor said:
Yes, fortunately PCIe is forward and backward compatible. You can put an old card in a new board and a new card in an old board.

Almost all nwe motherboard PCIe slots available now are PCIe 2.1 ... PCIe 3.0 is just emerging. Video cards are typically 2.0, 2.1 or 3.0 They all work together well.

The only restrictions on the video card you can include in a PC is the amount of power it takes and and the size of the card (you need to make sure the card fits physically in your case).

What PCIe 2.0 video card were you considering ?

I'll probably refer to Passmark for something with a good performance to price ratio.
!