Sign in with
Your question

AMD display drivers crash when running crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2012 3:15:35 PM

I have two AMD Radeon HD 7950's running in crossfire. When I launch programs such as firefox or portal 2 online, I will randomly freeze up and get the message "display drivers AMD has stopped working and has recovered. I may even get the BSOD. Another thing that happens is my computer will refuse to start up randomly, and freeze at the startup screen.

I am using a Coolermaster silent pro 850W powersupply which is above the recommended PSU for crossfire 7950's. I have tried running each card alone without crossfire, they both work perfectly.

Things I have tried -

Reinstalling Catalyst control centre (this includes cleaning registry, and all files)
Installing previous versions of CCC.
Installing latest version of beta CCC.
Clean reinstall of the Operating system.
Removing overclocks for the AMD cards (disabling AMD overdrive)
Running the AMD cards at a higher fan speed (the temp is always around 30-40)
Changing the crossfire bridge.

Please help, I have check similar threads to this one but each one does not contain a fix for crossfire problems.
July 21, 2012 3:28:25 PM

Update the BIOS for the motherboard, the secondary PCIE slot may not be working properly.
July 22, 2012 12:34:58 AM

sephmeister said:
Update the BIOS for the motherboard, the secondary PCIE slot may not be working properly.

I'll try updating the BIOS later tonight. As for the PCIE slot, I have used each one on each GPU.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 1:02:41 AM

Have u tried installing aplication profiles? is it helps?
have u tried swaping the card position (reeseat them)?

Is the card works fine by themself (just one card installed)?
July 24, 2012 2:58:11 PM

I've just tried updating BIOS drivers, chipset drivers, every single driver I can get, and I've also swapped the card positions.
July 24, 2012 3:29:20 PM

Try disabling ULPS... it breaks my 7970 crossfire setup when enabled and it's always enabled by default (I use atiman uninstaller to disable ULPS, but you can just look up how to do it in the registry if you prefer).
July 24, 2012 6:46:57 PM

BigMack70 said:
Try disabling ULPS... it breaks my 7970 crossfire setup when enabled and it's always enabled by default (I use atiman uninstaller to disable ULPS, but you can just look up how to do it in the registry if you prefer).

It worked. My Crossfire setup is working perfectly now.

As a side note, I have check about 20 plus threads of "AMD display drivers crashing" and none of them contain any solutions. This is the first solution which is actually concrete. Well done sir.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 8:08:22 PM

simpson52 said:
It worked. My Crossfire setup is working perfectly now.

As a side note, I have check about 20 plus threads of "AMD display drivers crashing" and none of them contain any solutions. This is the first solution which is actually concrete. Well done sir.

Check atleast your BIOS if both PCIe slots are in the same modus, usally 8x and 8x, atleast in my INTELDP67BG.
That's version 2.

Most mobo with 2 PCIe, except PCIe x1, slots have 1x 16 and 1 x4, or 8x and 8x.
Running the latest drivers, as there were drivers 291.xx(?) which have a 'sleep-bug'.

a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 12:24:49 AM

Usually ULPS only cause problems when u are O.C. the card.. (never thought of that..)

looks like 7-series card still need lot of work....

Anyways glad to hear it worked, pick the best answear so this thread can be closed..
June 23, 2013 8:28:15 PM

simpson52 said:
7445090,6,122690 said:
said:

Sorry, I know this thread is over a year old, but I can't help but thank you! Graphics driver was crashing every time I opened Firefox, I was getting all kinds of Code 80 errors with Steam and general system hangups! All solved with this simple fix + a restart! Don't know why they haven't fixed this yet!

Also I know I look stupid, but I don't know why my post is quoting itself...... there are no quote tags. Sorry.
!