Lost "My Computer" icon from Desktop - Restore How?

Hi All,

Somehow I screwed up my WinXP Pro SP2 system and lost the "My Computer" icon
from Desktop. how can I restore it?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard
4 answers Last reply
More about lost computer icon desktop restore

    Hi Richard

    Right click on the Desktop and select Properties>Desktop>Customize
    Desktop... and check the box next to 'My Computer'.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Richard Lionheart" <RichardMulleDELETEr@REMOVE.comcast.net> wrote in
    message news:aJqdnQB6dYX6MHbfRVn-gQ@adelphia.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Somehow I screwed up my WinXP Pro SP2 system and lost the "My Computer"
    > icon
    > from Desktop. how can I restore it?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    > Richard

    Hi Will,

    Thanks for the expert and prompt reply. I knew it was easy to do because
    I've done it before, but I couldn't for the life of my recall how, and
    Windows/Help didn't give me anything useful. I think many users would throw
    their computers in the trash, were it not for the Newsgroups and
    contributors like you.

    Many thanks,
    Richard

    > Hi Richard
    >
    > Right click on the Desktop and select Properties>Desktop>Customize
    > Desktop... and check the box next to 'My Computer'.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Richard Lionheart" <RichardMulleDELETEr@REMOVE.comcast.net> wrote in
    > message news:aJqdnQB6dYX6MHbfRVn-gQ@adelphia.com...
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Somehow I screwed up my WinXP Pro SP2 system and lost the "My Computer"
    >> icon
    >> from Desktop. how can I restore it?
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance,
    >> Richard

    You're welcome, Richard.

    --

    "NoOne@Nowhere.com" <RLMuller240432@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Will,
    >
    > Thanks for the expert and prompt reply. I knew it was easy to do because
    > I've done it before, but I couldn't for the life of my recall how, and
    > Windows/Help didn't give me anything useful. I think many users would
    > throw their computers in the trash, were it not for the Newsgroups and
    > contributors like you.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Richard

    >> Hi Richard
    >>
    >> Right click on the Desktop and select Properties>Desktop>Customize
    >> Desktop... and check the box next to 'My Computer'.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Richard Lionheart" <RichardMulleDELETEr@REMOVE.comcast.net> wrote in
    >> message news:aJqdnQB6dYX6MHbfRVn-gQ@adelphia.com...
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> Somehow I screwed up my WinXP Pro SP2 system and lost the "My Computer"
    >>> icon
    >>> from Desktop. how can I restore it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in Advance,
    >>> Richard

  4. Quote:

    Hi Richard

    Right click on the Desktop and select Properties>Desktop>Customize
    Desktop... and check the box next to 'My Computer'.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Richard Lionheart" <RichardMulleDELETEr@REMOVE.comcast.net> wrote in
    message news:aJqdnQB6dYX6MHbfRVn-gQ@adelphia.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Somehow I screwed up my WinXP Pro SP2 system and lost the "My Computer"
    > icon
    > from Desktop. how can I restore it?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    > Richard

    I was able to restore My Computer and Network places this way. Thanks for helping this dumb fellow...me!

Configuration Desktops Customization Computers Windows XP