Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
With that Resolution two 690's would do fine, but make sure you get cards with LOTS of Vram!

For a dual chip card, the 690's advertise as 4GB, this is not total for the RAM needs to be mirrored in each chip, effectively you have 2GB/chip. For most games this should be fine, but at that resolution games with better textures (Crysis 2, Skyrim HD pack) You will preferably want more VRAM.

While Skyrim specifically manages VRAM terribly, I will still use this as an example. (1920x1080 1 screen)
I Own a GTX 480 with 1536MB of ram, and with an HD Texture pack installed, my ram usage is at the whole 1.5GB. Sometimes if too many textures load too fast, it crashes from a glitch breaking VRAM limit.
Other games such as Battlefield 3 hit 1350MB...

filthpiggy

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I have little doubt that they would do well.

I drive two 30"2560 x 1600 monitors with a single GTX680.
I only game on one, but it does just fine with that.

Thanks ...the second serious answer. AMD/Radeon is not an option...sorry....

So then a couple 680's should even suffice as well you'd think....this is a serious question...I did not want to start a flame war.

I've already got a couple 580's in sli and 30" and I was just wondering if anyone has done 3x30" monitors on the nvidia 680/690 gpu?

Since you already have sli GTX580, still a very good combo, why not try them first? Buy the extra 30" monitors and try it out. You will then be better able to judge exactly how much horsepower you will need.

I have been using Samsung 305T monitors, which are no longer made. You can find them on e-bay refurbished, for a small discount.

filthpiggy

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Since you already have sli GTX580, still a very good combo, why not try them first? Buy the extra 30" monitors and try it out. You will then be better able to judge exactly how much horsepower you will need.

I have been using Samsung 305T monitors, which are no longer made. You can find them on e-bay refurbished, for a small discount.

The 580's will not do 3 screens in surround....the 600 series will, from my understanding.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
With that Resolution two 690's would do fine, but make sure you get cards with LOTS of Vram!

For a dual chip card, the 690's advertise as 4GB, this is not total for the RAM needs to be mirrored in each chip, effectively you have 2GB/chip. For most games this should be fine, but at that resolution games with better textures (Crysis 2, Skyrim HD pack) You will preferably want more VRAM.

While Skyrim specifically manages VRAM terribly, I will still use this as an example. (1920x1080 1 screen)
I Own a GTX 480 with 1536MB of ram, and with an HD Texture pack installed, my ram usage is at the whole 1.5GB. Sometimes if too many textures load too fast, it crashes from a glitch breaking VRAM limit.
Other games such as Battlefield 3 hit 1350MB of ram at times, with AA disabled but otherwise run fine.

Solution

OH! Learned something new today.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

The only difference surround view wise for the 500 to 600 series is that you can run 3 monitors off a single gpu with the 600 series unlike the 500 series which requires sli :)

more new stuff to be learned :p

filthpiggy

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Well thanks for all...I had to endure the flame boys out there, quote...."morons and thankless individuals".....not sure who he was.....anyway after they left I got some serious answers....thanks!. I will see what my 2 asus matrix platinum 580's will do I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.