mitchsan

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hi, my parents are building a new house and we are getting it wired with cat6 so we can stream hi definition video and large files through the network. We will have a wireless connection also to connect laptops and devices which only need internet access etc. I have a quite a solid understanding of computers or can work out most things, but I haven’t had too much experience in networking.
I would like to know how exactly to connect the server, switch and wireless router/modem.

I’ll try to describe what I’ve got planned as best as I can.
The server will be a mac mini with lion server. Connected to this will be a hard drive bay (through firewire 800) with approximately 8 TB’s of storage.
This needs to be connected to a switch, does it connect through just a normal cat6 cable?

There will be about 10 connections from throughout the house wired into the switch. Connected will be an assortment of computers (1 imac and several pcs), a ps3 and tv streaming devices - (I plan to convert our dvd/bluray collection to the storage – and stream them over the network to these devices).
We also have a wireless router which is the modem too. I would like to connect this to the switch and make it act only as an access point. The lan ports on it are only 10/100, which means I wouldn’t be able to use the cat6 to its full potential, if I used this as the main router. We need to continue using this as the modem though. Does that connect to the switch with just an ordinary cable too? Do I need any particular type of switch or will I need a wired router also?

The computers will mainly be windows based but there may possibly be an imac, will the lion server create too many problems? Also what sort of processing power will I need for this type of network? I can get the macmini with the lowest speculations and load lion server on this. It comes with a 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 and 2GB ram. Will this be enough for I want to do (file sharing, video streaming to network devices)? Or should I just get the macmini with the highest speculations - 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 and 4GB ram. There could possibly be 2 or 3 different Tvs streaming at the same time.

I’m more interested in how to actually connect all the network components together but if you are able to answer the other questions, I’ll be greatly appreciative.

So basically is this the setup I need:

Server(macmini) > switch (connected to this is the wireless access point/modem) > computers and network devices (through cat6)

I apologise for there being so many questions in the above question, but if you could even answer just some of them, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanking you.

Solution

Yes everything can be connected to an ordinary cat6 cable. Back in the day you needed a crossover cable to connect switch to switch, but now it just auto configures it self, so ordinary cable it fine.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

Yes everything can be connected to an ordinary cat6 cable. Back in the day you needed a crossover cable to connect switch to switch, but now it just auto configures it self, so ordinary cable it fine.

Ok so am I right in that you just have 1 modem? The one the is the router and wireless AP (Access point).
If your router is 10/100 it will not slow down your entire network to 10/100 if your main switch is gigabit. For example if your server and a computer is connect to the main switch and the both gigabit capable if will run a gigabit speeds between the server and the computer.

I don't have any experience with lion server so I can't help you with that. :(

Lowest specs (Core 5i 2GB) are more then enough for what you are going to do with the server.

Yep that sounds right. Basically everything connect to the main switch

Solution