Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other. (please post which)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lastsd

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Hey,

I built a new computer few months ago and just getting around to the sound & speaker part of it.

Right now I have:
Sound: On board - ALC892
HeadphonePioneer SE-MJ551 MJ551-R
Speaker: Edifier S330D

Usage is 50% Music/Movie, 50% gaming.
I was using headphone only until I got the speaker last week. I am using speaker only now but I am sure I will start using mix of headphones and speakers once the honeymoon period is over with the S330D

I have researched quite a bit and decided to stick with ASUS Xonar series.(good for price and had bad experience with Creative)

I'm deciding between Xonar DG/DGX and DX. (note all price in Canadian $)

First the ones that I won't get
STX - $190~200 is good and I wouldn't have to think about upgrade once I get it but I don't see me upgrading my speakers any time soon.

DS/DSX - $50~55 I don't see the point of this card. I would either go cheaper and go DG/DGX or pay a bit more for DX.

From what I've read
DG/DGX - $35~40/$45~55 Best bang for buck. Headphone Amp

DX - $85~95 Better sound chip than DG/DGX. No Headphone Amp.

My question is with my speaker and headphone would I notice significant upgrade in sound from my on board? If so is DX worth spending 2~3 times more money than DG/DGX?

I know my headphone and speaker are very low end compare to most people here in the forum, but I would appreciate if you guys could help me.
Thanks!

lastsd

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Thanks for fast reply. DX seems to be all-around good except for no headphone amp (which isn't that much issue for me right now). I just hope my ears are good enough that I would notice the difference between on-board and DX if I decide to go that way

lastsd

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Any more advice?

EDIT: What do you guys think about buying used sound card from a person (instead of a reputable seller)?
Would you buy a better used card or worse but new card?