New 7970 or other?

I am looking to get a new GPU here in next few weeks. I was thinking about the XFX-7970 3G. I'll mainly be playing BF3 but not limited to only that. I really want a graphics card that I can use for a long time and down the road pick up 2 more monitors.

I want to run at 1920x1080.

My system:

CPU: AMD 1070t 3.0ghz (can overclock to 3.5 anytime)
GPU: xfx-5770 at 900/1300
MEM: 12gigs ripjaws 1600 mhz
PSU: 700w

Air flow isn't a problem, so I will be overclocking any new card i get.

I did a little research and found that nvidea cards like the 680 or 670 perform stronger with open games like skyrim/bf3.
My price range is about 400-500, but the cheaper the better.

Some people reported that they run on 1080p with a 7970 at about 60 average fps on bf3 (ultra). But many of these people were running intel CPUS like the 2600k usually over 3.6 etc.

So i have two questions : Could my system run bf3 on ultra @ 60fps with a 7970 overclocked?

Do you think there would be a better card for the same price that would out perform the 7970? Remember that I'm looking to run 2-3 displays down the road.

Thanks for reading and any help would be awesome :D

Btw: Power consumption and noise isn't a factor for me.
18 answers Last reply
More about 7970 other
  1. EVGA 04G-P4-2673-KR GeForce GTX 670 Superclocked+ w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130785#top $469.99
  2. This does have 4g mem instead of 3g, but a lower bit interface. Would this make any difference and any reasons on this card? I can look up cards, i want to know why this instead of that type of thing.
  3. Your best bet it to always do your own research using the many review websites and don't always believe everything reported by random anonymous posters on a public forum.


    The correct answer is they are both essentially the same in performance overall. Depending on which games you intend to play, one will perform better than the other.
  4. I have done a lot of research, but I wanted to know if anyone had specific input with my build in mind.
  5. At 1080p the 670 is probably a better bet (and cheaper). The 7970 has the advantage in bigger resolutions.
  6. gtx 670 is better than hd 7970 in every resolution except 2560 x 1440 and 2560 x 1600 as the hd 7970 do the same performance as gtx 680 , but when you go for dual gpus , the gtx 670 sli is the best deal as it outperforms 2x hd7970 in all resolution even in 2560x 1600 as nvidia driver has better experience in gpu scaling. check out this : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200-16.html
  7. sgtharrison said:
    I have done a lot of research, but I wanted to know if anyone had specific input with my build in mind.
    go read this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/360586-33-gtx670-radeon-7970# the GTX 670 is about 12-13% more "bang for the buck" than a 7950 and 7970
  8. I am not sure how you guys can recommend a gtx 670 over a 7970 or 7950 now that there has been a price drop. The 7950 price is amazing right now and overclocked to 1.1Ghz beats out the gtx 670 and matches the 7970. The 7970 overlocks best out of this crowd and with the new 12.7 drivers 7000 series pulls a head in most benchmarks now.

    I recommend the 7970
  9. I have decided to go with this card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586

    I think this'll be a great card for the price
  10. sgtharrison said:
    I have decided to go with this card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586

    I think this'll be a great card for the price
    well as long as your happy that's all that matters ;) i wouldn't of chose that brand but to each his or her own
  11. bigcyco1 said:
    gtx 670 is better than hd 7970 in every resolution except 2560 x 1440 and 2560 x 1600 as the hd 7970 do the same performance as gtx 680 , but when you go for dual gpus , the gtx 670 sli is the best deal as it outperforms 2x hd7970 in all resolution even in 2560x 1600 as nvidia driver has better experience in gpu scaling. check out this : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200-16.html


    You are a man in the past and only talk about history.
    12.7 >> 12.4
  12. we_san said:
    You are a man in the past and only talk about history.
    12.7 >> 12.4



    Thats the thing buddy everybody brings up benchmarks and charts from months ago lol.
  13. we_san said:
    You are a man in the past and only talk about history.
    12.7 >> 12.4
    The correct answer is they are both essentially the same in performance overall. Depending on which games you intend to play, one will perform better than the other there no past about that just facts.According to this, the GTX 670 is about 12-13% more "bang for the buck" than a 7950 and 7970:
    http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edition/images/perfdollar_1920.gif
  14. redeemer said:
    I am not sure how you guys can recommend a gtx 670 over a 7970 or 7950 now that there has been a price drop. The 7950 price is amazing right now and overclocked to 1.1Ghz beats out the gtx 670 and matches the 7970. The 7970 overlocks best out of this crowd and with the new 12.7 drivers 7000 series pulls a head in most benchmarks now.


    Cost per frame. And the non reference cards take the advantage higher. The Asus 670 TOP for example tops the 7970 GHz edition in both techpowerups and Guru3D's game test suites. I don't see the point reasoning that "Don't look at reviews cause w/ AMD's new drivers, the 7970 pulls ahead of the 670 w/ nVidia's old drivers". Remember also that AMD is not the only one with new drivers.

    7970 Ghz Edition - 8.5 techpowerup rating
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edition/33.html

    670 DCII TOP - 10.0 techpowerup rating
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/33.html

    7970 Ghz overclocked - 3D Mark 11 = 9403
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition-review/24

    670 DCII TOP overclocked - 3D Mark 11 = 9839
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-review/23

    5% more performance for 86% of the price means 22% more value in dollars per frame. And yes it wins the game benchmarks too.

    As for the 1.1 Ghz, the 7970 can actuaklkly get to 1.2 Ghz boost clock and 6500 memory speed is impressive for the 7970 .... but not as impressive as the 1280 Mhz and 6958 the 670 is hitting in Guru3D's testing.
  15. JackNaylorPE said:
    Cost per frame. And the non reference cards take the advantage higher. The Asus 670 TOP for example tops the 7970 GHz edition in both techpowerups and Guru3D's game test suites. I don't see the point reasoning that "Don't look at reviews cause w/ AMD's new drivers, the 7970 pulls ahead of the 670 w/ nVidia's old drivers". Remember also that AMD is not the only one with new drivers.

    7970 Ghz Edition - 8.5 techpowerup rating
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edition/33.html

    670 DCII TOP - 10.0 techpowerup rating
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/33.html

    7970 Ghz overclocked - 3D Mark 11 = 9403
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition-review/24

    670 DCII TOP overclocked - 3D Mark 11 = 9839
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-review/23

    5% more performance for 86% of the price means 22% more value in dollars per frame. And yes it wins the game benchmarks too.

    As for the 1.1 Ghz, the 7970 can actuaklkly get to 1.2 Ghz boost clock and 6500 memory speed is impressive for the 7970 .... but not as impressive as the 1280 Mhz and 6958 the 670 is hitting in Guru3D's testing.


    the 7000 series scales better as much as 10% for the 7950 vs GTX 670
    Once overclocked the the 7950 pulls a head, the GTX 670 has auto boost up to 1200 at times during all test and reviews. see this

    http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/powercolor_pcs_hd_7950_review,1.html
    http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/nvidia_gtx670_review,1.html

    Best bang for the buck is the 7950 no doubt
  16. JackNaylorPE said:
    I don't see the point reasoning that "Don't look at reviews cause w/ AMD's new drivers, the 7970 pulls ahead of the 670 w/ nVidia's old drivers". Remember also that AMD is not the only one with new drivers.
    .


    I dont mind reviewer refresh the benchmark using the latest driver from both sides but you just make an excuse to the fact that you are not telling the truth. If the latest driver put nVidia back to the top, that's ok and that's the fact. So provide link or you talk zero.
  17. sgtharrison said:
    I have decided to go with this card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586

    I think this'll be a great card for the price


    I think that will be a great card for you and you wont be disappointed. The day XFX starts making nvidia's again I will consider picking one up. XFX is a great board partner with an excellent rep, customer service, and warranty.
  18. I have a powercolor reference 7970, that overclocks to 1200/1600 on stock cooling. With an AMD 8120 OC to 4.5 processor I get p9135 and x3440 in 3dmark 11 (when the card is not overclocked, it gets way lower scores in this benchmark). At 1080p, i cant think of any game that has stuttered for me. At the current cost of around $400 plus 3 to 6 games included, these cards seem hard to pass up to me. Just make sure you overclock it to the max, and you will be thrilled with the performance.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Battlefield Graphics Product