sethwillkaye

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
My graphics cards temp is around 78 to 79 C idle and any thing up to 99 C under load, im having problems with my computer turning its self off after like 30 to 60 mins of playing a game this the problem my graphics card overheating?

It's runnng a little hot ;) .
First, you'll want to get a can of 'compressed air'-it's widely avalable through computer and electronic stores.
Next, remove the card, take it outside, then use the air can to blow the dust/fur out of the cooler. Exactly how to do this depends on the cooler but you should blow backwards, into the exhaust, so the cleaning gas stream blasts towards, rather than through the fan. Usually some detritus sticks to the fan blades, use a cotton bud or old toothbrush to remove it followed by a short squirt of the air can to finish off.
Check the CPU cooler as well, if it's clogged you should give that a good blast as well, overheating of either will cause you problem.
BTW, do n't use the 'air' for too long, it can produce a stong static electric charge, which WILL fry the component/s it is directed against-remember, short, controlled bursts, Ripley ;)

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Idle temps for that card should be around 45-55c and during gaming 75-85c , depending on room temperature

how is your fan speed set up Auto? or manual? I set it once on manual 20% and forgot that caused overheating

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Generic 4870 idles at 80 degrees, always, and attempts to maintain load temperature below 90. It's factory default... If it reaches 99 then it has a dust problem.
I know this for a fact because I still use one.

However, you can manually reduce temperatures both in idle or load using for example MSI Afterburner which can create a custom fan profile ( however the card will become louder )