Sign in with
Your question

WRT54GH range issue - all traditional troubleshooting attempted

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 20, 2011 6:53:54 AM

Hi all, I have a Linksys WRT54GH.
The signal strength is extremely poor. 50% after about 1 metre. Not visible after about 5-6 metres (direct line of sight).
Have tried all standard fixes thoroughly:
Have updated to the latest firmware, factory reset and power cycled multiple times.

There are no other wireless networks or devices that would provide interference. Modem position is not an issue.
Have attempted and tested signal strength on multiple devices and PCS.
Have experimented with channels, thresholds, transmit type, encrypted/open, intervals etc (have played with absolutely every option available in standard firmware - no exceptions)..No luck.

Custom firmware is not an option because this router only has a 2mb flash chip. There is no Jtag port.

I've opened the router up and all the internal components look fine. No blown capacitors, scorching or breaks.

Pretty sure I have exhausted all software based solutions and checked for any other obvious physical factors.
Here's my previous postings on Cisco (who were eventually unable to help)

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT5...

I'm now seeking a hardware based solution. I want to fix this router, rather than just buy a new one. Money is not the issue, I want to learn from this. As such I'm looking for advice from someone who can tell me how I can actually test (ie: using a Voltmeter etc..) where the problem lies.

Thanks for your response.

October 21, 2011 3:05:10 AM

Looks like you have done a comprehensive analysis.

One additional thing to check would be the AC Adapter. Make sure it is delivering the recommended voltage to the router. If the coils are shorted, the output voltage will be affected.
m
l
October 28, 2011 12:15:11 AM

Good suggestion thanks. I checked the voltage output of the adapter. It's fine. Any other suggestions?
m
l
October 28, 2011 2:40:47 AM

At this point, try replacing the router. Linksys is good; go for an 'N' router. Recently, I replaced my Linksys WRT54G router with a Linksys E1000 (N) router. Very east setup, and works great! Good signal through 4 walls and 30' distance. I took my laptop to my neighbor's driveway and the signal was fine!
m
l
October 28, 2011 8:11:41 AM

Thanks Ubrales, but as i wrote originally the reason I'm posting here is that I don't want to take the easy option. I'm looking for technical suggestions possibly involving soldering and voltometers (checking the voltage and amperage of the adapter was a good example). It's not the money I'm trying to save, I'm trying to learn from this and simply buying a new router doesn't teach me anything new.
m
l
October 28, 2011 1:35:13 PM

maliusmaximus said:
Thanks Ubrales, but as i wrote originally the reason I'm posting here is that I don't want to take the easy option. I'm looking for technical suggestions possibly involving soldering and voltometers (checking the voltage and amperage of the adapter was a good example). It's not the money I'm trying to save, I'm trying to learn from this and simply buying a new router doesn't teach me anything new.

Yes I understand, and appreciate your objectives!

Simple stuff like solder repair of a home furnace control board I have done, but I have no knowledge as to how to debug a board at the chip level; especially when ICs are involved. At that level I think that an oscilloscope is required. Wish you luck!
m
l
!