Computer won't recognise new sound card

tornados2111

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I just bought a sweex SC011, plugged it into my PCI slot but my computer doesn't recognise it. Tried a different slot but no luck. When I try drivers from the website, or from the disk it just says Please plug-in C-Media PCI Audio Device device. Any help appreciated

Hello... this their website... http://www.sweex.com/nl/assortiment/sound-vision/sound-cards/SC011/drivers_firmware/ and the driver download for 7 doesn't mention 64 bit support... did you try to use this install download?

tornados2111

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, that's the one I used but didn't work, it doesn't say it's 32 bit either though, so I assume it's for all windows 7. If it was for 32 bit, I think it would still install, even if it wasn't optimised for 64 bit

tornados2111

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

What should I do now?

dydlee

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Install a 32-bit OS on a separate partition to see if your card works with the 32 bit drivers. Or ditch the card and (if available) a) go with onboard sound and/or b) hdmi audio out through your video card to a receiver/hdtv.

tornados2111

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Haven't been posting because I've been trying to figure out what has been causing this. Still no idea. I tried another PCI slot but once I do that, when I turn on my computer windows doesn't load past the part where there are 4 little circles to make up the windows logo. Just stays on that part forever. Then I am forced to turn off my computer and restart, happens again and again and the only way I can get my computer to start normally again is to instead of "run windows normally" to do something like a system restore. But to do this I actually have to take the card out. The computer won't turn on with the card in that slot...

Hello... that means the card is broken/Bad... when installing any cards, be sure you first touch a metal grounded item before handling... if you leave your computer power supply plugged in, touch the metal first.

tornados2111

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I did in fact touch my metal computer case before touching it, how could this have happened?

tornados2111

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Not sure I want to spend too much money on it, considering I just spent a bit on one that doesn't work... Probably 30 euro maximum and I live in Ireland. I don't need anything fancy. All I need is something that WORKS and must have a mic slot

tornados2111

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

There's a reason. The on-board version is of very low quality and my microphone has huge "feedback" problems where there is a sound of wind and like a squeaking squirrel in the backround. This is why I need a sound card.