Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't recognise new sound card

Last response: in Components
January 23, 2013 4:06:22 PM

I just bought a sweex SC011, plugged it into my PCI slot but my computer doesn't recognise it. Tried a different slot but no luck. When I try drivers from the website, or from the disk it just says Please plug-in C-Media PCI Audio Device device. Any help appreciated
January 23, 2013 4:27:27 PM

Hello... What windows system are you using?
Related resources
January 23, 2013 6:18:34 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... this their website... http://www.sweex.com/nl/assortiment/sound-vision/sound-... and the driver download for 7 doesn't mention 64 bit support... did you try to use this install download?

Yeah, that's the one I used but didn't work, it doesn't say it's 32 bit either though, so I assume it's for all windows 7. If it was for 32 bit, I think it would still install, even if it wasn't optimised for 64 bit
January 23, 2013 6:46:46 PM

Nope. You can't install 32-bit drivers on Win64. If they never produced a 64-bit driver, then you are out of luck.
January 23, 2013 6:48:12 PM

gamerk316 said:
Nope. You can't install 32-bit drivers on Win64. If they never produced a 64-bit driver, then you are out of luck.

What should I do now?
January 24, 2013 6:58:11 AM

Install a 32-bit OS on a separate partition to see if your card works with the 32 bit drivers. Or ditch the card and (if available) a) go with onboard sound and/or b) hdmi audio out through your video card to a receiver/hdtv.
January 24, 2013 11:34:51 AM

Well, C-Media generally produces their own drivers that other companies that use their products modify for their use, so the generic C-Media driver package *might* work.
January 29, 2013 3:53:05 PM

Just returned my sound card today and got a brand new one. This one http://eu.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Sound/Sound-Cards... Clearly says that 64-bit windows 7 is supported but I ran into the exact same problem. "please plug-in c-media audio device device". Tried a few different drivers, all for 64-bit windows 7. What do I do now?
January 29, 2013 4:00:31 PM

Try a difference PCI slot.
January 31, 2013 3:14:10 PM

gamerk316 said:
Try a difference PCI slot.

Haven't been posting because I've been trying to figure out what has been causing this. Still no idea. I tried another PCI slot but once I do that, when I turn on my computer windows doesn't load past the part where there are 4 little circles to make up the windows logo. Just stays on that part forever. Then I am forced to turn off my computer and restart, happens again and again and the only way I can get my computer to start normally again is to instead of "run windows normally" to do something like a system restore. But to do this I actually have to take the card out. The computer won't turn on with the card in that slot...
January 31, 2013 3:20:44 PM

Hello... that means the card is broken/Bad... when installing any cards, be sure you first touch a metal grounded item before handling... if you leave your computer power supply plugged in, touch the metal first.
January 31, 2013 3:46:44 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... that means the card is broken/Bad... when installing any cards, be sure you first touch a metal grounded item before handling... if you leave your computer power supply plugged in, touch the metal first.

I did in fact touch my metal computer case before touching it, how could this have happened?
January 31, 2013 4:00:22 PM

Hello... what is your Budget? and Location? so I can recomend a better quality sound chip and seller... I have few GOOD Creative SB audigy cards laying around... what is your computer brand/motherboard?
January 31, 2013 4:05:55 PM

Not sure I want to spend too much money on it, considering I just spent a bit on one that doesn't work... Probably 30 euro maximum and I live in Ireland. I don't need anything fancy. All I need is something that WORKS and must have a mic slot
January 31, 2013 4:18:56 PM

oh yeah, and my motherboard is P5Q SE2 from asus
January 31, 2013 4:38:59 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... your board has ONBOARD AUDIO... why not use it? did you try disabling in your BIO's and then try plugging your new card in? http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5Q_SE2/#support_Downlo... ...The ONBOARD drivers for your motherboard, (enable in your BIO's).

There's a reason. The on-board version is of very low quality and my microphone has huge "feedback" problems where there is a sound of wind and like a squeaking squirrel in the backround. This is why I need a sound card.
January 31, 2013 4:55:26 PM

Hello... Did you try disabling Onboard... there could be a hardware/motherboard conflict with your new card... save new BIO's settings and restart... power off... install new card... power on.
January 7, 2014 5:02:34 PM

PCI slots are good. Run a driversweep and clear ALLLL the sound card drivers. Do what Ironsounds said and reinstall drivers in Safe Mode.
!