Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Extremely Slow Startup - Amazing Config :(

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 8, 2012 11:43:36 PM

Hey guys,
Don't know what's happening, not able to fix it myself.. surprisingly.

I have Win7 64Bit installed and my god it takes ages to start up! It's stays as the Starting Windows screen for SO long in spite of the power hardware I got. Help me out? What could it be? (Can't be the OS, JUST installed it)

System Spec -

ASUS Maximus V Extreme
Intel Core i7 3770K
Sapphire HD Radeon 6950 2GB
G.Skill RipJaws X 8GB (4GBx2) 1600Mhz
G.Skill RipJaws X 16GB (8GBx2) 1600Mhz
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Seagate Baracuda XT 1TB
WD Green 1TB
WD Green 1TB
Corsair H100
Corsair Carbide 500R

:( 
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2012 11:47:15 PM

Possibly a ram mismatch, try booting with one or the other kits, thats my first option
Moto
m
0
l
September 8, 2012 11:55:35 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Possibly a ram mismatch, try booting with one or the other kits, thats my first option
Moto


Just tried doing that. Still slow :( 
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 9, 2012 12:02:19 AM

Try using Process Monitor (ProcMon) from sysinternals. Set to perform boot logging and then look through the log to see what processes are taking a long time between actions.
Share
September 9, 2012 8:39:01 AM

^ Just did that. These take a LOT of time to load up - smss.exe, svchost.exe, WLIDSVC.exe.

The computer takes 5-6 minutes to boot up and that's PATHETIC. My old Core2Duo machine boots up in less than 1-2 minutes!

Can't upload the bootlog. It's HUGE. (In size)
m
0
l
September 9, 2012 9:04:03 AM

Found the culprits! I disabled all non-windows application on startup and it worked just fine. Stupid ASUS softwares.
m
0
l
September 9, 2012 9:25:30 AM

Might wanna rethink the RAM tho. Thats an odd number to have. And 2 different sets of memory even tho they may be the same.
m
0
l
September 9, 2012 9:42:30 AM

vrumor said:
Might wanna rethink the RAM tho. Thats an odd number to have. And 2 different sets of memory even tho they may be the same.


Taking one of the kits out didn't make any difference. :??: 
m
0
l
September 9, 2012 9:55:00 AM

Try reformatting with a fresh image of windows, without any bloatware on it. You might have too many background tasks. But seriously consider an SSD, it will make a hell of an improvement EVEN if you have tons of bloatware.

A 120GB OCZ vertex 3 can be had for around $70 nowadays, hardly that large of an investment. Trust me, it's really worth it. Using it as a boot drive will make you wonder how you ever lived without one.
m
0
l
September 9, 2012 10:00:28 AM

theLiminator said:
Try reformatting with a fresh image of windows, without any bloatware on it. You might have too many background tasks. But seriously consider an SSD, it will make a hell of an improvement EVEN if you have tons of bloatware.

A 120GB OCZ vertex 3 can be had for around $70 nowadays, hardly that large of an investment. Trust me, it's really worth it. Using it as a boot drive will make you wonder how you ever lived without one.


Waiting for my payment, will receive in a couple of days :)  Can't wait to buy one!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 9, 2012 10:13:26 AM

Glad you found the cause man,
Moto
m
0
l
September 10, 2012 6:59:16 AM

Best answer selected by arzbhatia.
m
0
l
!