Extremely Slow Startup - Amazing Config :(

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
Hey guys,
Don't know what's happening, not able to fix it myself.. surprisingly.

I have Win7 64Bit installed and my god it takes ages to start up! It's stays as the Starting Windows screen for SO long in spite of the power hardware I got. Help me out? What could it be? (Can't be the OS, JUST installed it)

System Spec -

ASUS Maximus V Extreme
Intel Core i7 3770K
Sapphire HD Radeon 6950 2GB
G.Skill RipJaws X 8GB (4GBx2) 1600Mhz
G.Skill RipJaws X 16GB (8GBx2) 1600Mhz
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Seagate Baracuda XT 1TB
WD Green 1TB
WD Green 1TB
Corsair H100
Corsair Carbide 500R

:(

Solution
Try using Process Monitor (ProcMon) from sysinternals. Set to perform boot logging and then look through the log to see what processes are taking a long time between actions.

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
^ Just did that. These take a LOT of time to load up - smss.exe, svchost.exe, WLIDSVC.exe.

The computer takes 5-6 minutes to boot up and that's PATHETIC. My old Core2Duo machine boots up in less than 1-2 minutes!

Can't upload the bootlog. It's HUGE. (In size)

theLiminator

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Try reformatting with a fresh image of windows, without any bloatware on it. You might have too many background tasks. But seriously consider an SSD, it will make a hell of an improvement EVEN if you have tons of bloatware.

A 120GB OCZ vertex 3 can be had for around $70 nowadays, hardly that large of an investment. Trust me, it's really worth it. Using it as a boot drive will make you wonder how you ever lived without one.

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012

Waiting for my payment, will receive in a couple of days :) Can't wait to buy one!