cr1m

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hi guys, I was wondering what happens if you have your sound drivers set to 7.1 but you are using a 5.1 system. Like do you lose sound or does it correctly redirects it through 5.1

Im wondering about this because I have a razer tiamat and it has a crossover button for your speakers. Now as the Tiamat plugs into the PC my soundcard detects a 7.1 setup so thats whats its set to on the software side. But when I switch to my desktop speakers on the Tiamat im using a 5.1 setup while soundcard is still set to 7.1

Off topic...if anyone owns a Tiamat is it normal to hear a bit of sound coming from your speakers even after you switch to Tiamat. Its not much but if I have my speaker volume up and whats playing is loud I can hear sound through the speakers.

All that really happens is the audio gets sent to the last two speakers, but as they don't exist, the output doesn't get played back. As far as the OS/Drivers are concerned, you are listening to 7.1 audio.

That being said, if the drivers do any significant audio enhancement, setting 7.1 instead of 5.1 might mess that up.

cr1m

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

If its outputting 7.1 and last speakers doesn't get played back, do I lose sound then? Like get a dead spot in the surround?

Latest posts