Closed Solved

Upgrade from AMD Phenom II 965 BE to Intel i5 3570??

Hi all:

This is my first post to the forum but I has been a reader since long time and this community has help me a lot with tons of issues.

I can't decide if will worth it to change my phenom II 965 for an intel i5 3570k.
I mainly use my computer for gaming, crysis 2, far cry 3, borderlands 2 etc and waiting for dead space 3 and crysis 3.
My full system specs are:

Phenom 965 OC @ 3.8 ghz
EVGA geforce 660 ti sc edition with 3GB of ram
kingston hyperx 8gb @ 1600 mhz
superflower power supply @ 700 W
gigabyte 970 ds3 motherboard

The question is, upgrading from the phenom to the intel i5 will increase significantly my gaming performance?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade phenom intel 3570
  1. Best answer
    it will increase the performance a bit, but whynot get a amd 8core instead?

cheaper, if u got intel gonna have to get new mobo.cpu.

i see u got sli, but not a tru sli capable motherboard as the second pci-express port is running at 4x and u need 8x minimum to have quality sli.

so ill suggest this instead.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=76932&vpn=FD8350FRHKBOX&manufacture=AMD&promoid=1338

8core fx series. overclocked can rival an i5 in gaming. and highly cpu intensive programs.
  2. Thanks for the quick response.
    I know thats an option but I wouldn't like future bottlenecks, I mean probably by the end of this year I will upgrade to a geforce 680 or maybe a 780 if its released, will this AMD bottleneck with those cards?
  3. the 8core amd is a killer cpu, wont bottleneck nothing, is used in autocad and gaming.

short and simple answer no.
  4. Best answer selected by john1587.
  5. cheers john
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i5 Phenom