Change the "Windows" folder name after install ... possible?

Hi All,

I want to rename my windows folder from "WinXPtemp" to simply WinXP. Is
there an easy way to do this short of reinstalling WinXP?

Background:

I just reinstalled WinXPro. I elected custom installation, and when it
came to the question of where downloaded setup files should be stored, I
gave it the name "\WinXPtemp".

I thought the installation program was referring to a tempory area where cab
files would be stored prior to expansion, etc.

Now that I see the result, I realize I was mistaken. I'd like to correct
my mistake, because the name I got bugs me.

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

Richard
2 answers Last reply
More about change windows folder install possible

    No, you can't. Format and start over.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com> wrote in message news:tpqdnQ7tjZgmrXHfRVn-hA@adelphia.com...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I want to rename my windows folder from "WinXPtemp" to simply WinXP. Is
    > there an easy way to do this short of reinstalling WinXP?
    >
    > Background:
    >
    > I just reinstalled WinXPro. I elected custom installation, and when it
    > came to the question of where downloaded setup files should be stored, I
    > gave it the name "\WinXPtemp".
    >
    > I thought the installation program was referring to a tempory area where cab
    > files would be stored prior to expansion, etc.
    >
    > Now that I see the result, I realize I was mistaken. I'd like to correct
    > my mistake, because the name I got bugs me.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.
    >
    > Richard

    Thanks, Don.

    > No, you can't. Format and start over.

    Since I've subsequently installed Visual Studio.Net, Office XP Pro 2002,
    SP2 for XP, etc., I guess I'll learn to live with my stupid mistake.

    Nevertheless, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my trivial
    question.

    Regards,
    Richard