Change the "Windows" folder name after install ... possible?

July 31, 2005 1:52:48 AM

Hi All,

I want to rename my windows folder from "WinXPtemp" to simply WinXP. Is
there an easy way to do this short of reinstalling WinXP?

Background:

I just reinstalled WinXPro. I elected custom installation, and when it
came to the question of where downloaded setup files should be stored, I
gave it the name "\WinXPtemp".

I thought the installation program was referring to a tempory area where cab
files would be stored prior to expansion, etc.

Now that I see the result, I realize I was mistaken. I'd like to correct
my mistake, because the name I got bugs me.

Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

Richard
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:32:51 AM

No, you can't. Format and start over.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Richard Lionheart" <NoSpam@Nowhere.com> wrote in message news:tpqdnQ7tjZgmrXHfRVn-hA@adelphia.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I want to rename my windows folder from "WinXPtemp" to simply WinXP. Is
> there an easy way to do this short of reinstalling WinXP?
>
> Background:
>
> I just reinstalled WinXPro. I elected custom installation, and when it
> came to the question of where downloaded setup files should be stored, I
> gave it the name "\WinXPtemp".
>
> I thought the installation program was referring to a tempory area where cab
> files would be stored prior to expansion, etc.
>
> Now that I see the result, I realize I was mistaken. I'd like to correct
> my mistake, because the name I got bugs me.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.
>
> Richard

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 10:05:29 PM

Thanks, Don.

> No, you can't. Format and start over.

Since I've subsequently installed Visual Studio.Net, Office XP Pro 2002,
SP2 for XP, etc., I guess I'll learn to live with my stupid mistake.

Nevertheless, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my trivial
question.

Regards,
Richard