Unplugged GPU safe inside an ON computer??

JbmXJ12

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I just bought a new video card (xfx 6770) and installed it into my computer. Well... I put the thing into the slot at least. My current PSU is not strong enough to power it. Question is, will the card be safe inside my computer while it is on, even when the card iself insn't powered?

Its inside the slot with no cables attached. It'll only be there for a few days until my new PSU arrives. So is it safe or should a remove it until I can FULLY install it?

Thanks in advance!

JbmXJ12

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Edit: I messed up on the title. should read "VIDEO CARD" instead of "GPU".
I'm new to this stuff and only just realized the difference between the two . My bad for the tittle.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Keep it in a drawer until you get the PSU.

It's not safe to keep a videocard in the slot if the additional power connectors are not plugged into it. In some cases it might even prevent the computer from starting.

JbmXJ12

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Thanks very much for the replies. My computer did start up, as it is on as we speak.
(computer has chaep built in card) But yeah, I didn't think it was a good idea to just have it in unplugged. Will be removing it asap. Thanks a lot!

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Video card and gpu mean the same thing, there is no difference between the two so I would like to see where you learned that :p

Graphics Processing Unit

Once you get the power supply, unenable the onboard graphics, hook up gpu, install driver, enjoy.