Help finding a graphics card for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltotem

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hello all,

I have done a fair share of internet research, but have a unique problem I would assume. I am looking to buy a new graphics card, I do not care about future proofing, and if it could be helped at all would really prefer to not buy "more then I need". I can spend up to $500 on the card alone, and will get a new PSU based on whatever the graphics card needs. I pretty much only play Skyrim, all the total war series including Shogun 2, as well as Starcraft 2. I do nothing else with the computer other then play those few games. Can anyone recommend me a graphics card that would play those games on Ultra setting? Without having "overkill"? I am more then happy to replace said card in a year with newer technology, so I just dont see the point for overkill.

Thanks in advanced!

Solution
I would hazard a guess that you already have a pretty solid psu. All the details will be listed on a sticker on the side of the psu. Power off your pc, disconnect the wall socket, remove the pc side cover and all the details will be on the side of your psu.

A GTX670 will be more than sufficient at that resolution, either the gigabyte one that...

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Sorry, but I don't see anything 'unique' about your problem. Most people don't want to spend anymore than whats needed, at least those of us on a budget.
That aside, alittle more info would help. What's the rest of you pc's specs? what cpu? If that's too weak, it will bottleneck a high end card. You say, you'll get a psu based on what the new gpu requires, but if your current psu is up to the task, why bother? And just while we're on the psu, what make and model is it? And finally, what resolution do you play at?
Also, you say that $500 is you budget for the gpu, (what country are you in? Any preferences of where to buy?) but $500USD puts you in the range of some really powerful cards, gtx670, gtx680 from nvidia, or if you prefer radeon you can pick up the hd7970 for that. As these are all top tier cards, it's a bit hard not to 'overkill'

Your $500 budget will buy you a GTX680, but the GTX670 can perform so close that I would consider the GTX680 as not a great improvement for your dollar.

A GTX670 only needs a 500w psu, a GTX680 will need 550w.
It is not wrong to overprovision the psu a bit since it will only use the wattage it needs, and will run quieter in the process.
Only buy a QUALITY psu.

I like the EVGA GTX670 FTW It is a tad faster than the gigabyte referenced above, and I like EVGA support.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

ltotem

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Sorry for the lack of info. I have the I5 3570k, gigabytes g77 motherboard I believe its called the "sniper"? Currently have 8gb of 1600 speed memory. I live in USA, and have no preference to a buying location, internet or physical store. My power supply is actually very old, im not even sure any of the specs other then its a 500w, I am very comfortable replacing it.

Edit: sorry I play on 1680x1050 resolution

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I would hazard a guess that you already have a pretty solid psu. All the details will be listed on a sticker on the side of the psu. Power off your pc, disconnect the wall socket, remove the pc side cover and all the details will be on the side of your psu.

A GTX670 will be more than sufficient at that resolution, either the gigabyte one that redeemer suggested or the evga one that geofelt suggests. Personally, I would go with geofelts recommendation for the reasons he stated.
As for power supplies, something like this >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151098
or this if you intend on going the sli route later. >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087
Hope this helps, good luck.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.