I just ordered a couple of new parts for my build, and I've run into a bit of trouble. I connected everything correctly and all seems to be in working order except the GPU. Its fan doesn't spin, the monitor does not get input from it, but it does get hot when the computer is left on for a while.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black @ 3.4GHz
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620W 12V
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme3
HDD and optical drive are just HP Pavilion stock
To answer some questions I'm assuming will come up:
* The PSU and CPU do appear to work. Paperclip tested the PSU though it powers the mobo and others just fine. The CPU fan spins.
* I don't have a mobo speaker, so of there were beeps, I wouldn't hear. However I installed the RAM in the correct slot accordin to the manual and ensured it was seated firmly.
* checked, rechecked, and tried switching out DVi cable. No dice.
* tested GPU on a different mobo, nothing.
* GPU gets HOT if left to run for more than 20 minutes or so.
* went through the no POST/no display checklist on here, same results.
So is this a problem with my GPU and it needs to be replaced? Any ideas? Thanks.
Hey guys, back again. I bought a new 7850 and was able to start up the computer with no problems. The fans spun immediately on turning on the power switch. I will need to get a new DVI cable, but for now I will be using a DVI-to-VGA adapter, which will probably work fine.
Thanks for all your input. Glad I was able to get it up and running.