Overclocking my athlon 7850 BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatnocturn

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hi. I'm new here but I've been lurking around here trying to get help for what I'm trying to do. If you guys can help; that'd really make my day. It's a long one so here we go.

I'm trying to overclock my AMD Athlon 7850 Black edition CPU. My full specs are:
m2n-sli deluxe
680w power supply [it's a echo star. bought it at a comp shop]
4gb ddr2 ram
PNY GTX 650 2gb
and the cpu stated above.

I got a video card yesterday for my birthday to slap into a PC that I'm trying to stretch some life out of. I was going from a GT 9500 512mb so it was a massive step up. The only issue is that nearly every game I have runs like it did before. GPU is fine. ram is fine. But checking my CPU and it shows it going off the charts at full load. I don't bog down my rig with anything stupid so it has to be the game running things ragged. Some examples I got:
Metro 2033 [runs great indoors but outside starts to dip a bit. At very high running on DX9 and x4 anthro]
Just Cause 2 [runs hideously. I've run it before on a quad core I used to have and it ran like a dream. Now it's a nightmare even on low!]

I could check on others but why bother. It runs at full boar despite SRL and Yougamers telling me I can run it. I can take lower settings but 10s to slideshow for fps I can't take.

So I wanna OC. A new CPU wouldn't help [and I don't want to risk screwing up my bios with an update. Currently at 1302 now] cause then the board and ram would need replacing and I ain't got the money right now. I just want to give it a slight edge more then it is now to help things go. I've seen others safetly do it but I got no clue! I've tried the bios but there isn't anything for overclocking except for loading a profile and a few things regarding voltage [no way I'm doing that]. I also can't see a way to multiply anything in there too.

So can anyone teach me what to do? I really can't afford a quad core, ram and mobo right now unless I find a 200 bundle so I'm stuck. I can give more info if anyone is willing to help me. I really want to be able to have SOME enjoyment with this rig for the time being.

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Try this

http://phenommsrtweake.sourceforge.net/

Turn off cool/quiet in the bios and it will allow you do dial OC in and out like the thermostat on your wall. Get http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ with the desktop gadget it will show your tjmax (the point your cpu starts melting) set overload protection in the option, I set mine to sleep my system if I come within 5c of my max temps.

Get prime95 or another test to load your system and start moving up the multiplier up with phentweak. My 955be is very happy at 3600 with stock 1.35v. so 400mhz over spec. if you get that go into phenomtweak click service update stettings and use custom cool quiet on balanced. I get 4200/4300 passmark rating vs hi perf 3600 on all the time and a 4500/4600 rating..

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
My temps idle low 30's max out mid 50's depending on room temps, if hit 60c I start backing off whatever i'm doing..

That's 18 multiply but beware 18.5 even with as much voltage I feel comfortable actually more than I'm willing to run with and it goes off a cliff, 18 is my WALL beyond the abyss..

Greatnocturn

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Untitled.jpg

This is what I'm looking at...what do I do? Also noticed that it's reading the cpu at 1.40ghz. That ain't right. It reads 2.81ghz from comp properties. The 1.4ghz is the speed per core, right? It'd make 2.8 total? Maybe not cause others are dual and quad running on as low as 1.2ghz.

Anyway, what should I do with Phenommsr? And is it safe with an athlon?

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Yeah its safe did you get core temp with the gadget? You want both those running set overload protection in options first. You want to find were stable ends and set one or steps back depends on how aggressive you are. To you max set high perform and now your only concerned with p0 that's power manage balls walls. You should look up your stock settings cause that pic is WAY higher than I run

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
My p2 phen x4 955be is 10.5 cpu 1.15 nb 1.1

your cpu should not be above 1.325 in fact back it down to 1.25 and 8x multi just throttle it if that pic corrct

You should be looking to work UP to 15.5x 1.325V cpu and my nb is 1.1 and I never touch it..

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I see core temp in the you start at P0 that is your HIGHEST setting p1,p2 are step downs for the other power saving states whats your p0

p0 15x 1.3v
p1 12x 1.2v
p2 8x 1.0v
p3 4x .9v

1.1 nb all

balanced

service update settings

x custom cool quit settings (cool quite off in bios)

that should be a safe stable oc but you need to bench and stress it to be sure you can work up to this but that's up to you, past it blue screens are lurking travel @ own risk..

Greatnocturn

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

fyi; I never touched anything yet. Neither here or in the bios with clocking. That's just what came up without me touching anything.

I set the safeties like you said. 65c was it? Shouldn't get that high but it'll shut down when it hits there.

Should I set them to the digits you said in your last post and work from there? Where do I start or try first?

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Your baselines set
P0 cpu vid 1.25v 14 x
nb vid to 1.2v
overload temps I'd go 65c

Stock vcore 1.2V - 1.25V
Multi 14 2800 mhz
Maximum operating temperature 73°C

To oc click core multi up 1 notch to 14.5 benchmark/stress check temps keep going till you crash or get too hot, back down until you can go full out for at least an hour without crashing. Once there check post above to finish up p1,p2 etc settings..

Greatnocturn

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

slightly confused. On the tweaker. P0 tab should read:
Core multis 14.0 14.0
CPU Vid 1.2500
NB vid 1.2000

Then run prime95. So I should just focus on the P0 page and boost the core multis' to see what it can operate at before it gets too hot? No other p's other then 0? How will I know if I'm gaining anything? Basically if I run it for a while at a higher multiple and hasn't started to overheat? Then after that I can try it on another program or a game to see if it made any effort?

I'm glad that you stuck with me in this but I just want to make doubly sure before trying anything.

Also, I hit apply to have the values be applied, right?

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
p0 is "high performance" in power management, and the top end of balanced and power saver, so when you have high perf set p0 is the only thing to look at. After you find the top p1,p2 are your step downs, assuming you don't want it blazing away at top speed when your not using it. And yes hit apply look at core temp gadget the numbers should update the real time..

Greatnocturn

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I think it's only HP cause I set it like that in "power management". Thought I could get it to actually not be afraid to hold something back for power saving reasons.

So let me get this straight. I up the multiplier on p0 whilst running prime and to stop when the CPU heats up too high? Then I'll know what limit it can go to boost performance before things start to get toasty when its maxing out with a game. Right? And I'm leaving p1 and p2 alone so they won't go bonkers when I'm AFK, right?

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Do this..

p0 15x 1.3v
p1 12x 1.2v
p2 8x 1.0v
p3 4x .9v

1.2 nb all

balanced

hit apply

test.. pass..

click service then update settings

check custom cool quiet settings (cool quiet off in bios)

you should be good 15.5x is probably top end 16 maybe and stop grinding on this so much, if it gets hot go lower if it stays cool and doesn't crash pump the multi till it does and back off a notch or two..

Greatnocturn

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Got it all dialed in and when I went to apply...unhandled exception has occured in your app.

here's the dump:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NotSupportedException: Could not read from PCI register.
at OpenLibSys.Ols.ReadPciConfig(UInt32 pciAddress, UInt32 registerAddress)
at PhenomMsrTweaker.PState.Save(Int32 index)
at PhenomMsrTweaker.PStateControl.Save()
at PhenomMsrTweaker.Form1.applyButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///F:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
PhenomMsrTweaker
Assembly Version: 2.0.4.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.4.0
CodeBase: file:///F:/Program%20Files/PhenomMsrTweaker/PhenomMsrTweaker.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///F:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///F:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///F:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

should I ignore and continue or just quit?

scratch that. Tried to continue and I didn't see any change. Even during the test. The only time it wouldn't throw up the error was without changing anything.

I'll have to try more tomorrow or just give up on it. If I give; I'll be sure to choose you as best answer for helping. I will keep the widget though for the future just to make sure my temps are at healthy intervals.

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Not "my app" I use it I didn't program it, if you want you can try and get it working but looking closer

"AMD K10 CPU (Phenom, Phenom II, Athlon X2 6500 and 7750...)"

Maybe your not a k10 cpu, I saw Athlon X2 and assumed that was all of them it looks like it's only 2 of them..

http://phenommsrtweake.sourceforge.net/

Greatnocturn

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Thought I might. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.