Overheating AMD FX 8150 o/c to 3.9GHz with corsair H60 water cooling?

MrPMonkeyD

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I've had my PC about 6 months. I have a:
-cooler master HAFX V2 case
-700w PSU
-4x4GB RAM
-AMD FX 8150 CPU
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

I have 3x200mm fans in the case, and 1x230mm fan. The front/side are ins, the top 2 are outs.

Recently, whilst playing Saints Row III on ultraspec (normally fine), during big explosive sequences I've noticed my CPU hitting 65-66 celsius, even though I was told by the PC guys that built my rig that the H60 corsair water cooler would work fine. Is there anything that may be screwed up in the cooling unit's installation etc, or is the CPU running at 65 degrees okay? Just that my PC comes up with a warning message every time it hits that temp, and I read elsewhere that 61 degrees is the max safe temp for the FX 8150.

Don't wanna fry my beast!!!

sanilmahambre

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
Follow these steps

=> Keep th side panel of your case open while playing Game
=> check whether Radiator fan continuously remains ON coz it should
=> If its working fine then check liquid flow If not replace it with any other fan on radiator
=> Check if the cooler is properly fitted and replace the thermal compound
=> monitor the temperature ( Idle and Load)

I am sure this will solve everything :bounce:

MrPMonkeyD

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

1: If it comes to that, I will, but I don't particularly want to ha!
2: Yeah it does :D
3: Feels like the liquid is flowing fine, not really sure how to check??
4: At the weekend I'm gonna turn it all off, and carefully take off the bit that's over the CPU and check it all looks good, perhaps get myself some arctic silver and reapply it.
5: My idling temp is 37 celsius with a room temperature of 18 celsius. Pretty sure that's too high.

Also, I just ran prime95 torture test and the CPU hit:

60 celsius in 45 seconds
65 celsius in 1 min 10 seconds
Back down to 40 celsius in 6 min 30 seconds (from 65 celsius once I stopped prime95)

Not really sure how epicly f***ed that sounds, any suggestions welcome!

FShiwani

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013

Yeah I also have a similar problem with my FX 8120 with Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 11

chronos8

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I just bought a CM HAF XB case and a Corsair H80 as my temps were running 78 degrees C with the stock cooler. Now I idle at 19.9 degrees C and normal load is 33 degrees C with peaks at 41.5 degrees C.

The H80 was a refurbished unit from Frys and I am very very pleased with it.

I run ESXi on it and test multiple VMs under load with EMC storage using FC transport. Handles multiple threads very admirably.

The HAF XB case is just....well....awesome. Not even running the roof fan (cant find a fan to fit it anyhew)

I only run a 500 W Power supply as well with a sole GT 680 and six SSD drives. Plenty of power and when my compiler code hits all 8 cores the thing used to get plenty hot and shutdown. The H80 has taken care of that issue!!

Works great with my Asus M5A88-M board with 16 GB of RAM. Only issue I had was the USB 3 to 2 cable I had to buy at Fry's....