PanicMaster85

Distinguished
OK this is my problem,
I have made many threads and each one goes from get the CF and then get the stronger 7850

I already own one 6850 and to get one more would save me money and time.
The 7850 is said to be great and I should get it instead of just getting a second 6850.

Here are the arguments I hear

-No worry of microstuddering
-2GB DDR5
-Easier to install
-Better tessellation filtering

6850 CF
-Better FPS then 7850
-Less money
-Faster for me

Problems

-More money on me
-More Time

-Worry of microstuddering

Here are my specs
CPU- FX-8120
GPU- HD 6850
RAM- 8GB DDR3
MOBO- GA-970a-UD3

Basically the only reason I don't want to get the 6850 is because I am worrying about microstuddering.

Sorry for the long post but thank you for your time! :D

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
After searching around the forums, I see that folks do indeed have issues with micro-stuttering with CF HD 6850's. This happens particularly in Skyrim and BF3. If you want to avoid that issue, then it may be best to sell the HD 6850 and get the HD 7850.

What is the max budget you are willing to spend? a HD 7870 would be a more worthwhile upgrade.

He got the best card he could afford a while ago, hence why he has one 6850 already and is looking to get another.

I had a 6870CFX for a while and didn't experience any microstuttering. I have heard about it though. Honestly I'm a fan of one single card over the CF-X. Especially because of power demands and filling the case up. It's hard to say though, 6850's would perform great, you just never know if you're going to affected by the microstuttering.

How much more performance do you need? If you want a little boost then get the 7850, if you want a huge boost and willing to risk not enjoying the experience, get a 2nd 6850. If it doesn't work you could always sell them both and get a strong single card.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

I need a lot better performance because I can't play gta IV on max settings... taking the risk is what is unnerving to me.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

well the reason I am going to get this is because I need better FPS and in about a year im planning on building a new computer with the one of the best gpus out there.

GTA IV is so poorly hardware optimized I don't believe dual 6850s or a 7850 will help you on that game. I've read people with i5's and gtx670s complaining about sluggish gameplay on that title.

Yes they are compatible to crossfire together but what happens is both cards operate at speeds and with the amount of stream processors as the WEAKEST card in the CF-X. So it would be the same thing as running two 6850s only you paid more to do it. Bad idea.

They don't always stutter, I ran two 6870s for a while and it was smooth and the performance was great.

gamerkila57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

actually an HD 6870+Hd 6850 performs better than an HD 6850+HD 6850 but not better than an HD 6870+HD 6870

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

Yeah that is what i heard but i also heard that the performance will only go down like 5 percent then if i had double 16x

That's kind of true, I had to look it up because I remember setting up a 6770 CF-X for my neighbor (don't ask me why he wanted to CF-X those I tried to talk him into a better card, but I got paid either way)

My neighbor had a x16/x4 motherboard and the results were awful, but after reading this article below it makes me think something else was wrong:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-scaling-p67-chipset-gaming-performance,2887-10.html

That shows a small percentage decrease, but the CF-X I set up (apparently faulty) had the 2nd card in the x4 slot performing about 50% of the one in x16.

But anyway, he returned them and got the 560ti I suggested in the first place and all is well.

Also, the HD7870 is a stud. I actually downgraded from a 6950CF-X for this Sapphire HD7870 I run now. My benchmark scores aren't as high but I noticed improved and smoother gameplay. I still max out all the games that I currently play on highest settings 60FPS constant. This 7870 OC'd like a champ too, 1325/1525 stable but I run it at 1250/1450 for an everyday OC because it was a very little voltage bump from stock to do so. This card runs much cooler than my CF-X, uses a lot less power, and as a result my case airflow temp is lower resulting in lower temps across the board. I love it and have no regrets. I think you will feel the same way too. Good luck and have fun!

I believe the release of the gtx660ti is going to bring 7000 series AMD's prices down even more. I think by september you'll be happy with what $250 can get you! And if the 7870 isn't $250 or less by then, you should consider a 660/660ti because from the review I've seen it smokes the 7870 and will be between 200-300 dollars!