Fans run won't post, checked everything

I have a Gateway gt6552 with 3gb ddr2 mem, AMD Phenom 9500, and a ECS motherboard. The thing started giving me problems quite a while ago and I got another computer. Now I'm trying to revive it for my son. Gateway Tech had me do the pull the power and push the on/off button and hold for 30 seconds. That got me back up a couple of times then no more. It would start to boot and then hang. Then it wouldn't even try anymore. Recently after reading a lot of forums etc., I thought the problem was the Motherboard. Repalced it with a new one that did the same thing. When I turn it on the fans will go on high speed and the DVD drive checks itself, it sounds like the hard drive is spinning up, no video. This is what I have done so far. Removed and reseated everything. Removed the memory and tried to start with no beep. Checked the voltage at all of the connectors and all are right on the money. Removed the cmos battery and reinstalled. Removed the video card and plugged into the default motherboard connector, (although that probably has to be changed on the setup). I thought at that point that it could be the cpu so I popped the cooler off it and left the fan connected. Turned it on for well over a minute and the cpu did not even begin to feel warm. I'm now thinking cpu but don't want to fork out money again only to throw the wrong parts at it. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
11 answers Last reply
More about fans post checked everything
  1. While it is indeed possible the CPU died, it would normally be the least likely of the culprits. My first thought would have been the PSU. I realize you checked voltages at certain locations, but a failing PSU can look great at no load or idle and quit when stressed a bit. If possible, try a know good PSU. Then pull the board from the case and breadboard it. Connect just the CPU, HS/fan, 1 stk memory, monitor to integrated, and the PSU. Short the 2 pins the pwr sw. would connect on to start the system. (Keep them shorted for a few secs to shut down.)

The fact that the CPU didn't heat up with the fan removed may be due to the temp rising so fast that it shut down. It needs the heat sync at least to keep the temp below shut down range, which could have occurred in a second.

One other thing; you mentioned you connected your monitor to the on-board graphics port and got no display. But if you left the gfx card in the slot, the BIOS probably was still trying to use the card. The slot needs to be vacant for the BIOS to default to the integrated video on most boards.
  2. I did indeed take out the gfx card when I tried the on board one. I just did as you suggested by breadboarding it. Nothing happens other than the fans going on. I tried it with the memory in and out and nothing. The only difference is the psu I used out of a functioning unit is a 20 pin and the system in question uses a 24 pin. I simply put the plug to the socket leaving 11,12,23 and 24 open on the motherboard. As far as I can tell they are not needed for most boards that don't have isa slots.
  3. tastyklair said:
    I did indeed take out the gfx card when I tried the on board one. I just did as you suggested by breadboarding it. Nothing happens other than the fans going on. I tried it with the memory in and out and nothing. The only difference is the psu I used out of a functioning unit is a 20 pin and the system in question uses a 24 pin. I simply put the plug to the socket leaving 11,12,23 and 24 open on the motherboard. As far as I can tell they are not needed for most boards that don't have isa slots.

AFAIK, the extra 4 pins are just redundant wiring to supply more current for the +5v, +12v, and +3.3v circuits. But I can't say for absolute certainty that the MB is wired that way.

It appears you are, indeed, down to the CPU. As a final test, is there a way to try that CPU in a different system? Or try a different CPU in the old system? If not, you can search out a suitable replacement on ebay. It's a shame to let a PC (even an old one) go unused... ;)
  4. OK. That's sort of what I had thought. I really do appreciate the help. Unfortunately I don't have a similar system or cpu.
    Thanks.
  5. Well I got a used cpu off the internet and it did exactly the same thing as the other one. I can only assume at this point that I am missing something or I have 2 bad processors or 2 bad motherboards. Any suggestions?
  6. Well, you're down to the PSU...
  7. Well, I put in a new psu and voila. Nothing! This is bazaar. I am returning the mb and proceesor, and will probably get bundle to replace it. What could it have been other than a number of duplicated malfunctioning parts?
  8. I had a similar problem on an old pc years ago I tried everything to get it up and running, come to find out on the backside of the mobo a couple of the solder joints had come loose where the power connector plugged in a re solder of it fixed my problem.
  9. But this has now happened with 2 boards. I'm totally baffled. Why wouldn't I at least get a beep code of some sort?
  10. Was the replacement MB new or refurbished? My luck with refurbs has been pitiful.
  11. It was a new one. At this point I am going to get a mb/cpu/mem combo and hope to be done with it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards