Sign in with
Your question

Phenom x4 9600 2.3

Last response: in CPUs
January 23, 2013 7:45:05 PM

I'm having some major issues with my CPU. I was getting BSOD (I use win8 professional x64) and after restart run the event viewer, and get:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 2

The details view of this entry contains further information

Now, my processor is only running 1.4Ghz (viewed through task manager, and verified at reboot through CPU information in the BIOS.
I've already ordered a new Phenom II 965. is there a way to repair this to use until the new one gets here, and following as a processor for another machine?

More about : phenom 9600

a c 145 à CPUs
January 23, 2013 8:55:03 PM

I'm not too familiar with win8, is it possible its the infamous TLB bug?
m
l
January 23, 2013 9:42:12 PM

I say buggy win 8 driver are they all current? If yes try disabling non essential hardware and see if it stops, sound cards and usb devices are good candidates to start with..
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 9:51:25 PM

And don't forget the basics..
chkdsk /f c:
sfc /scannow from a admin cmd prompt
m
l
January 23, 2013 10:04:45 PM

but why would the bios only state it being 1.4, before windows even loads?
m
l
January 23, 2013 10:12:33 PM

Have you tried the reset bios to default/optimal it's usually on the save and exit screen in the bios..
m
l
a c 145 à CPUs
January 24, 2013 2:05:28 AM

motherbd possibly defaulted to a lower multiplier. If you can see it in the bios, set it where its supposed to be which is 11.5

edit - in thinking about your problem, is it possible the cpu got to hot. If you havent cleaned cpu cooler and replaced the thermal paste in a while this could be the issue.
m
l
January 24, 2013 2:16:06 AM

I reset the bios, then had to change the boot order (MBR is on a drive other than OS, but that did get it back to the 2300... although, popatim, I haven't touch the thermal in this monster in 3 years, I think. so that's something that could still need to be done. I'm still confused about the event error though... I've read from people that worked in plants for dell and such, that cores can go bad, and also from people that say that they can't go bad... so I don't know. I already ordered the phenomII, so I'm not going to worry about it too much. lol. just gonna wait and see if it does the same thing in another PC later. Thanks for the help.
m
l
!