Computer doesn't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentai

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Computer won't turn on (Just arrived in mail)

Specs: Case (Corsair Vengeance C70 Gaming Case)
Processor (Intel® Core™ i7 3820 Processor (4x 3.60GHz/10MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 3820))
Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 -- 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16))
Memory (16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X))
Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - 2GB - EVGA Superclocked - Core: 1046MHz - Single Card))
Power Supply (650 Watt -- NZXT HALE82N-SI / 80+ Bronze))
Processor Cooling (Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-2011] - Standard 120mm Fan))
Primary Hard Drive (120 GB ADATA S510 SSD - Single Drive))
Data Hard Drive (1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive))
Optical Drive ([12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive
Sound Card (3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard))
Network Card (Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)))
Wireless Network Adapter (ASUS USB-N53 802.11 a/b/g/n 300Mbps Dual-Band Wireless-N300 USB Adapter))
Operating System (Windows 8 64 bit)
Flash Media Reader / Writer (12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black))

Solution
Is nothing coming on whatsoever? I would say your best bet would be to unplug your 24pin plug and the one near your CPU and try plug them in again properly, see if that helps? Maybe something rattled loose in the mail? If that doesn't help, then we have to eliminate the possible culprits: psu, mobo and CPU.

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Is nothing coming on whatsoever? I would say your best bet would be to unplug your 24pin plug and the one near your CPU and try plug them in again properly, see if that helps? Maybe something rattled loose in the mail? If that doesn't help, then we have to eliminate the possible culprits: psu, mobo and CPU.

Solution

Momentai

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

nothing comes on at all. ty for the help though

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Aaah, man I'm so sorry... I can imagine how frustrated you must be, nothing can make one more angry than a new pc that just won't frikken work! Especially if it was pre built, the last thing you want to do is take it apart...any chance on rma'ing it? But the problem you describe it sounds like the psu, because nothing is happening... Just a question, I'm not doubting your intelligence or anything, is the psu switched on and set to the right voltage?? We must never overlook these small things!

Momentai

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Don't worry about insulting me, I just want my computer to work. I know the psu is switched on but how can i make sure it is on the correct voltage? Thanks for responding

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
no worries! well its normally a little red sliding switch on the back of the psu, next to the on/off switch. some new psu's dont have them though, they can automatically select the correct voltage. the next step would be to try a different psu, at to rule it out. but if you bought it pre built. i wouldnt fiddle too much, rather get hold of the people who sold it to you.

if you do not have a spare psu, you could try the paperclip test, that will give you some idea if the psu is working at all. its not foolproof however and even if the fans spin up, the psu may still be faulty.

Momentai

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Still nothing but thanks for the help. I think I'm just going to send it back now

9xer

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Check all of your connections, especially the 24 pin on the mobo. If everything is tight, it's gotta be the power supply; a bad mobo will give some sign of life, even if it shuts off again right after you press the power button (lights, fan, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.