Sign in with
Your question

Which intel cpu ?

Last response: in CPUs
January 23, 2013 8:09:03 PM

My budget has increased from 1k to 1300, currently looking at two cpu's. The pc will be used for gaming and video editing, I am picking between the i5-3750k and the i7-3770k. I assume little to no difference in the gaming portion, but what about he video editing? Also if I were to step up to the 3770 I would probably have to get a cheaper Coolermaster case, not a huge deal I suppose. :bounce: 

More about : intel cpu

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2013 8:11:55 PM

kingblood69 said:
My budget has increased from 1k to 1300, currently looking at two cpu's. The pc will be used for gaming and video editing, I am picking between the i5-3750k and the i7-3770k. I assume little to no difference in the gaming portion, but what about he video editing? Also if I were to step up to the 3770 I would probably have to get a cheaper Coolermaster case, not a huge deal I suppose. :bounce: 

If you are doing a lot of editing, then the i7 would be the better option. There is no discussion there. The difference between the two is that i7 has hyperthreading, which i5 hasn't.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 23, 2013 8:16:43 PM

+1 for the i7. It is more capable of handling video ediing over the i5.
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 8:23:28 PM

There isn't any CPU with the model number, i5-3750k.
Maybe you mean i5-3570K or i5-3570.

The i7-3770k is clearly the faster CPU with higher clock speed and hyperthreading. They are also pretty much the two most popular desktop CPUs on sale today.

In terms of value (power / price) the i5 is marginally better. But there is very little in it.

If it was my money I would take the cheaper i5 and spend the savings on either A) a larger / faster SSD or B) A larger monitor or dual monitors.
Better SSD or screen will give more satisfaction than a marginally faster CPU in my opinion.

m
l
January 23, 2013 8:28:15 PM

This depends on what type of editing you'll do, and what software you'll use.

I've done quite a bit of editing and transcoding with both with the 3770k and 3930k, and where I've found the most use for hyper-threading is multi-tasking while encoding.

The availability of extra virtual cores makes it easier to still run the system while encoding without significant delays or overhead.

When it comes to video editing, Hyper-threading often reduces the encoding speed of the physical cores because it has to leave a certain amount of overhead available for processing additional requests on the virtual cores.

If you use editing software that is capable of utilizing all available cores, hyper-threading may work better for you, but for the cost (and most scenarios that either don't use hyper-threading, or don't use it effectively) you'd probably be better served with the 3570k and putting your money elsewhere.

Both CPUs are great though, so either way you win.
m
l
!