Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Pci 2.1 on pci x16 mobo ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 22, 2012 4:52:07 AM

hi guys .

with TH communities help , ive decided to buy the ati hd 6450 (ik its a low end entry level card) .

its jus for a bit of gaming and hd tv purpose.

and now a problem arises , while i ws lookin at forums about the card , i found that it had some compatability issues with mobos having PCi X16 (1.0 or 1.1)
since the HD 6450 ws released in 2011 it has PCI 2.1 support.


when i asked about the compatability issues on my mobo in a forum ,they said it will work fine .
bt yesterday i saw on some forums that the performance of the card will be buggy on a pci 1.0 board. :o 


my choices for a card was hd 6450, hd 5450 and gt 520,
when i asked TH community,
they said to go for the hd 6450 ...

also should i go for the gt 520 ?

will it work well ??
is it gonna be buggy, (like crashing and stuff) ?


my mobo
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_...

ya its an old mobo , i got a really older machine

cpu _ Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz

2 gig dd42 ram (@400 or so )

320 gig WD HDD

acer V193 HQ (1366*768)

:sarcastic: 

More about : pci pci x16 mobo

a c 76 U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 4:58:22 AM

If its been reported to work on your board you are fine. Pcie 2.1 cards should work in a 1.0 slot. The "buggy"reports are from people on some boards who did not update their bios to handle the new spec
Score
0
July 22, 2012 5:12:27 AM

unksol said:
If its been reported to work on your board you are fine. Pcie 2.1 cards should work in a 1.0 slot. The "buggy"reports are from people on some boards who did not update their bios to handle the new spec



hmm , i've updated my bios , the problem is that the latest biostar bios update for my mobo ws dated (2010-02-01) .. that ws the last bios update for it

is there any other way to make it up to date .

since its a 2010 based bios , can it support the 2.1 version ??

and ty 4 ur answer .
Score
0
Related resources
July 22, 2012 5:50:43 AM

i've updated my bios , the problem is that the latest biostar bios update for my mobo ws dated (2010-02-01) .. that ws the last bios update for it

is there any other way to make it up to date .

since its a 2010 based bios , can it support the 2.1 version ??
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 6:00:39 AM

It should, all PCI-E generations are backwards compatible for the most part. The best way to know is to test it.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 76 U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 6:20:56 AM

731sniperdawg said:
i've updated my bios , the problem is that the latest biostar bios update for my mobo ws dated (2010-02-01) .. that ws the last bios update for it

is there any other way to make it up to date .

since its a 2010 based bios , can it support the 2.1 version ??


2.1 cards were out in 2009. I'd expect a 2010 Bios to have any fix if needed, and it's a pretty low power card. I'd expect no issues.

That being said the 5550 should be a much better card for gaming, and here's a 2.0 version for under 60.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681412918...

Share
July 22, 2012 7:06:11 AM

unksol said:
2.1 cards were out in 2009. I'd expect a 2010 Bios to have any fix if needed, and it's a pretty low power card. I'd expect no issues.

That being said the 5550 should be a much better card for gaming, and here's a 2.0 version for under 60.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681412918...



is there any way to find out whether the bios support 2.1 (without actually testing it) ??

there is a huge problem here too , i cant buy from newegg, since im not from US :cry: 

newegg shoulda been made international :pfff: 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 7:23:06 AM

just try amazon
Score
0
a c 76 U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 7:35:23 AM

Yes. Amazon if you can. Last thing I got from them that didn't work I just went to the order, clicked RMA, checked "it didn't work" and they sent me a UPS guy with a label. No charge. Painless.

Might be different outside the US but still
Score
0
July 22, 2012 8:18:56 AM

k .. just leave the buying process ..

is there a way to check the pci 2.1 compatability of my mobo ????
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 8:22:10 AM

unksol said:
2.1 cards were out in 2009. I'd expect a 2010 Bios to have any fix if needed, and it's a pretty low power card. I'd expect no issues.

That being said the 5550 should be a much better card for gaming, and here's a 2.0 version for under 60.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681412918...

+1 its the card to go for unless you stumble across a hd 6450 gddr5 version..
Score
0
a c 76 U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 9:15:06 AM

731sniperdawg said:
k .. just leave the buying process ..

is there a way to check the pci 2.1 compatability of my mobo ????


you could call/email biostar but you might call 3 times and get 3 different answers lol. it should work. But in very few cases with certain boards and certain cards it might not. Usually because of user error or bios updates stopped before pcie 2.1. Since 2.1 was 2009 and you had updates in 2010 it wouldn't worry me.
Score
0
July 24, 2012 4:17:38 PM

unksol said:
you could call/email biostar but you might call 3 times and get 3 different answers lol. it should work. But in very few cases with certain boards and certain cards it might not. Usually because of user error or bios updates stopped before pcie 2.1. Since 2.1 was 2009 and you had updates in 2010 it wouldn't worry me.



so i just e maild biostar with specs and pics of my mobo.. they said a technician (or so) will reply to my query ... :p 

F them still nothing ...

anyone got any fresh ideas .. or comments from people who have actually done it (pci 2.1 on 1.0) ....
Score
0
July 29, 2012 3:29:52 AM

Best answer selected by 731sniperdawg.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 9:46:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!