Sign in with
Your question

No sound after installing graphics card!

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Graphics Cards
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
January 23, 2013 8:49:25 PM

Please help me. I'm very frustrated with my situation and I would like for people to read thoroughly before helping me.

Yesterday, I finally received my Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB DDR5 OC Edition graphics card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... About two weeks ago I built a new computer, but I postponed the graphics card because I was still deciding which one to get. My last graphics card was just an Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics. I uninstalled the drivers from that.

I was very excited, and decided to put that monster into my motherboard. After about 20 minutes, the graphics card was installed, but I soon found out that I had encountered another problem:

I didn't have sound anymore!

The first thing I did was to snoop around the forums seeking for answers. The first thing I found was that when most people install their video card, the computer changes the default audio from the sound card to the graphic card, and said that you should enable it. So I restarted my computer, and checked my BIOS, and this is what I see:

The options:

Then, I went to Integrated Peripherals and found this:

It seems like it's already enabled.

If it helps, I also found the integrated graphics:

I went poking around forums again, and found a a few answers that were pretty similar to each other.

Before, I go on, I should probably give you my computer specs:

CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz 40% Oc
GPU
Radeon HD 7850 Sapphire OC Edition
RAM
12GB DDR3 1600MHz (Some is Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, and the other 4GB is taken from my old computer made from Samsung (1333Mhz)
OS
Win 7 64
HDD
Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB
Monitor
Acer AL2216W 22inch
1680 x 1050
Motherboard
MSI Z77A-G41
PSU
Topower TOP-1000WG 1000W

The sound card is an onboard soundcard, and it's called "Realtek High Definition Audio" according to Device Manager.

Now, let's continue with the problem I have. Here are some more screenshots:

Device manager:

I've disabled the High Definition Audio Device thing, which is made by Microsoft. I've already uninstalled AMD's HDMI audio thing from Catalyst.

Realtek HD Audio Manager:

(No audio devices on the list)

I went poking around the forums AGAIN, and I found out that some people were able to resolve their problem by selecting "Disable front jack detection". When I did this, it appeared that an audio device was plugged in. I tested for sound, and I heard absolutely nothing. Even when I unplugged my speakers, it said that I had a device plugged in. Speaking of which, my speakers have absolutely no problem. They were working perfectly fine the day before I got my GPU, and I tested it on another computer.

Finally, I went to Sound manager via Windows, and here's what I found:

I've re-downloaded the Realtek drivers over and over again, and I'm still unable to get any sound. In Device Manager, it reads that the Realtek High Definition Audio is working.

Also, I'm sure this isn't true, but maybe the integrated graphics have something to do with the Realtek High Definition Audio. I'm thinking right now that maybe I should completely uninstall the graphics card, both on the computer and physically, then re-install it.

Please help me. I will provide any images if it helps to solve this problem. I've posted a thread on forums a little bit back, and I haven't gotten a good answer.

More about : sound installing graphics card

a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 9:07:22 PM

Enable everything inside the Device manager.

Then, un-install every audio driver from Realtek you have installed.

Then, go to MSI's website and double check the drivers you're downloading (or in your CD/DVD) are the correct ones for your mother board specific model. If you can, try getting the chip number inside your MoBo to double check. It should be something like "ALC8xx".

Ah, also install the AMD drivers again.

Cheers!
m
l
January 23, 2013 9:14:42 PM

Yuka said:
Enable everything inside the Device manager.

Then, un-install every audio driver from Realtek you have installed.

Then, go to MSI's website and double check the drivers you're downloading (or in your CD/DVD) are the correct ones for your mother board specific model. If you can, try getting the chip number inside your MoBo to double check. It should be something like "ALC8xx".

Ah, also install the AMD drivers again.

Cheers!

I've already done that. I got my motherboard DVD and re-installed Realtek's drivers. Then, I went to the Realtek website and found the drivers and installed that. THEN, I went to MSI's website, found my motherboard, and re-installed Realtek's drivers from there.

Still no sound.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 9:24:18 PM

MeicoPotato said:
I've already done that. I got my motherboard DVD and re-installed Realtek's drivers. Then, I went to the Realtek website and found the drivers and installed that. THEN, I went to MSI's website, found my motherboard, and re-installed Realtek's drivers from there.

Still no sound.

Sent you a PM.

Cheers!
m
l
January 23, 2013 9:28:21 PM

Yuka said:
Sent you a PM.

Cheers!

How do I check PM's? Lol, sorry. I'm not very good on Tomshardware.
m
l
January 23, 2013 10:46:47 PM

Update:

I found out that in my sounds, I don't have Realtek Digital Output.

My analog back panel output ports aren't working. How do I get Realtek Digital Output back?
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 11:15:02 PM

reinstall from the disc that came with your motherboard.
m
l
January 23, 2013 11:38:18 PM

swifty_morgan said:
reinstall from the disc that came with your motherboard.

Please read the thread before posting.
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 12:43:07 AM

read what?

this is what your board has............ Audio Chipset
.............................................. Realtek ALC887

if it isn't showing what do you suppose is wrong?

why not try this?................

Live Update 5

MSI Live Update 5 is a powerful and useful application for updating the latest BIOS and Drivers, saving you time and lowers the risk of updating. End-users can install and run the Live Update 5 software on their computers with the companion CD or downloading the app from the MSI website.

Features
- Automatically Detect the BIOS/Driver/VGA/Utility Update
- Support Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7 32Bit
m
l
February 3, 2013 12:45:23 AM

Update:

Never got my problem fixed. I just ended up buying a sound card, which was unfortunate.
m
l
February 6, 2013 1:33:58 AM

have your problem fixed after buying sound card...?
m
l
February 20, 2014 3:11:48 PM

i have had the same exact problem on 2 different motherboards, an asus sabertooth z77 and an msi gd 65 gaming. when i had nvidia card in audio was fine, but as soon as i changed it to a radeon, nothing , on either board. anybody come across a solution yet?
m
l
February 25, 2014 2:37:53 AM

I have the same issue myself. Sound was fine, added a second Radeon HD 6850 to my pc and BOOM. No sound.
I found the same as you, that people suggested checking BIOS, re-installing etc...blah blah. Tried all that obviously, or we wouldn't be here, on a forum.

My sound used to work, I only removed the card for cleaning. Now it doesn't. My instincts tell me that this should be something simple like the gfx card hogging the sound control, but I'm yet to find any solution.

People please keep suggesting ideas.

Thanks,
J.
m
l
!