tilyardinit

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Hi all, I'm currently running a Intel Duo Core e8400 duo core cpu and an Ati radeon 4850 powercolour graphic card. I had a 500 or 600 watt powersupply in before, and it was cheap and kept making the computer restart.

I brought a 700 watt power supply which is kinda better make. Still cheap. But my question is, would putting in a potentially higher watt PSU than I need damage my computer? Or cause power cuts in the house.

Ponyface

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
You should be fine, there is no way it will damage your pc, or cause power cuts in your home. Your pc will only draw from it the power it needs. So if your pc only uses 300 watts on full load for example, that's all the power you will draw from the psu.

Just some advice though, it's never a good Idea to buy a cheap psu, as it may damage other components in your pc if something goes wrong...

timnswede

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Your computer does not use all the watts that the PSU supplies. If you have the same components then there should not be a difference in the amount of power being used.

tilyardinit

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Yeah, I understand that when it comes to PSU's. I know I should get the good make, heck I spent enough on *** ones. Just haven't got that bulk cash right now to splash out on a PSU - hense the cheap ones. I did ensure that mine had a saftey feature or some ***, but yeah I know what you mean. Thanks for the replies!

I'm blaming the 99p energy saving lightbulbs for the cut outs! lool

Hi - that sys needs only a quality 450w psu, you should be able to
find a quality 450-500w unit for that same price as a sh***y
700w unit.

Tom

Of course if you already own the 700 without return privileges
then it is a moot point.