Sign in with
Your question

GIGABYTE GA-990xa-UD3 Heat-sink problems

Last response: in Components
January 23, 2013 8:51:08 PM

Hello, I recently bought a GTX 660 Ti but I'm afraid to put it in my machine.
I have a gigabyte GA-990xa-UD3 that is relatively new, but the south bridge heat-sink is pretty hot to the touch after I turn off the computer and touch it, I currently have a HD 4850 in there right now and the 660 collecting dust in my closet :( 
January 23, 2013 9:08:59 PM

Don't worry about it. Computer components generate heat. Your 660 will be fine. The fact that you didn't burn your hand means it is far from overheating. You generally don't have to worry until things get up to around 90C.
January 23, 2013 9:27:31 PM

EHzZz said:
Hello, I recently bought a GTX 660 Ti but I'm afraid to put it in my machine.
I have a gigabyte GA-990xa-UD3 that is relatively new, but the south bridge heat-sink is pretty hot to the touch after I turn off the computer and touch it, I currently have a HD 4850 in there right now and the 660 collecting dust in my closet :( 

You must have never owned an LGA775 motherboard with a core 2 duo!

A touch to the northbridge would give you first degree burns, especially if using SLI and RAID!
Related resources
January 25, 2013 10:14:28 PM

Gamoholic said:
Don't worry about it. Computer components generate heat. Your 660 will be fine. The fact that you didn't burn your hand means it is far from overheating. You generally don't have to worry until things get up to around 90C.

Thanks for the input! I will check my temps and get back to you on it, if below 90 is 'safe' as you say then I probably will have no problems
January 25, 2013 10:17:33 PM

This post was for my friends rig.

My rig has a GIGABYTE G41MT-S2P LGA 775 for my Pentium E5700 and MY 660 Ti which I will soon go SLI instead of buying a completely new card...
January 25, 2013 11:53:18 PM

I own that motherboard in my other rig. My thermal temp gauge is not working at the moment but two of the three heatsinks get so hot I can't keep my hand on it under load. (Well, if do it will leave a mark)

You are fine, but just to be sure, download HWmonitor and see what kind of temps you are running.
!