Sign in with
Your question
Closed

7900gtx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2012 6:26:01 AM

Hey guys

ive got an old 7900 gtx that i was given when my 8800 ultra died on me. since then ive upgraded it to a 9800gtx+ in my old desktop, as when i played cod4 i ended up with most of the intractable objects (eg cars, bodies, guns) flashing between black and regular colours, and when black, the objects stretched and looked, as a clan member commented when i shared a screenshot, like hedgehogs.

what would be causing this? is it the graphics card dying? it had a 12 month old 420w psu in it with 4gb ram and a e4600 cpu, on a dg31pr motherboard if this helps.

im wanting to put a graphics card in a computer that im making for my aunt so that my 8 year old cousin can play a games.

i can try find that screenshot if you guys want

it hasnt been used for about 6 months

More about : 7900gtx

a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 6:29:50 AM

The best way to know if it's about to fail is to run a stress test.

I would use Furmark and run it under Burn in for about an hr. If the computer crashes or the card overheats causing it to bog down, then it may be the GPU. Use GPU-Z to monitor the temperature of the card while it's testing. Also, clean the card if it has a lot of dust as that can cause it to bog down and act funny.

Sometimes it could be your RAM too.

I haven't heard that name in yrs, I have memories when I used to have that SLI set up (My first SLI set up and I was a noob at wiring management and would say WTF when it got hot, lol)

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 7:04:00 AM

joluk44 said:
Hey guys

ive got an old 7900 gtx that i was given when my 8800 ultra died on me. since then ive upgraded it to a 9800gtx+ in my old desktop, as when i played cod4 i ended up with most of the intractable objects (eg cars, bodies, guns) flashing between black and regular colours, and when black, the objects stretched and looked, as a clan member commented when i shared a screenshot, like hedgehogs.

what would be causing this? is it the graphics card dying? it had a 12 month old 420w psu in it with 4gb ram and a e4600 cpu, on a dg31pr motherboard if this helps.

im wanting to put a graphics card in a computer that im making for my aunt so that my 8 year old cousin can play a games.

i can try find that screenshot if you guys want

it hasnt been used for about 6 months

If the geometry is fubared randomly (spikes heading off in random directions) that's usually symptomatic of hardware failure. The same can usually be said of wonky textures but that can sometimes be a driver issue.

The simplest way to tell the difference between bugs or driver issues, and hardware failure is that bugs are deterministic. Bugs will almost always appear the same way. Classic examples being Z fighting (flashing between two textures, one of which is on a polygon in close proximity behind another), aggressive culling (erroneous removal of geometry which should be visible when only non-visible geometry should be removed), clipping (objects passing through other objects), and various lighting/shadow anomalies.

Contrary to popular believe, these aren't random, they're very predictable. Given the same circumstances they will happen again and again.

Hardware failure on the other hand will happen randomly and independently of the application in question. If models and geometry and messed up in multiple games then the card is dead.
Related resources
July 22, 2012 7:43:49 AM

Pinhedd said:
If the geometry is fubared randomly (spikes heading off in random directions) that's usually symptomatic of hardware failure. The same can usually be said of wonky textures but that can sometimes be a driver issue.

The simplest way to tell the difference between bugs or driver issues, and hardware failure is that bugs are deterministic. Bugs will almost always appear the same way. Classic examples being Z fighting (flashing between two textures, one of which is on a polygon in close proximity behind another), aggressive culling (erroneous removal of geometry which should be visible when only non-visible geometry should be removed), clipping (objects passing through other objects), and various lighting/shadow anomalies.

Contrary to popular believe, these aren't random, they're very predictable. Given the same circumstances they will happen again and again.

Hardware failure on the other hand will happen randomly and independently of the application in question. If models and geometry and messed up in multiple games then the card is dead.

the only game it does it in is cod 4 but the description seems to be far more inclined towards hardware failure. it does it in both 1.0 and 1.7 versions however.

recommended course of action would be $1 reserve as is where is on ebay?
July 29, 2012 1:28:30 AM

Best answer selected by joluk44.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 29, 2012 9:46:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!