Future Shop's 1 Year Camera Warranty Not Honoured

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 20, 2005 4:25:48 PM

I have an older model Fuji F600 series (can't recall the exact model
number right now, but it took very good pictures and I'm very attached
to it), bought at Future Shop last year, that just died over 2 months
ago, with only a few days before the 1 year warranty was up. I didn't
purchase an extended warranty, though I was pressured to.

I brought the camera in, as mentioned, with a few days left on the
warranty and told them that the camera would not power on, period. The
camera was in excellent cosmetic condition, that is, no visible outer
signs of damage. It had never been dropped or handled roughly. It
actually died while I was snapping shots. I tested the batteries, and
put spare recharged ones in, and still no power.

Anyway, I signed over the camera and charging cradle to the FS clerk,
and she said because I had not purchased the extended warranty it could
be 1-2 months for repair. I wasn't thrilled, but there was nothing I
could do about it. Almost 2 months later, I contacted my local FS, and
they told me the camera was on its way back from Toronto to the local
FS, supposedly repaired- though no details were provided.

A week later I get a call from FS's HQ in Vancouver telling me that the
camera was damaged, and that the "layers" had separated. I asked what
that meant, and she said that the outside of the body was damaged, and
that the chip or board inside was also damaged. The total cost to
repair a $350 camera less than a year old would be $250 according to
her.

I was outraged and told her I would not accept this. The camera I
handed over to the clerk at my local FS was in perfect cosmetic
condition, although not functioning. I would never be so stupid as to
expect a physically damaged camera to be accepted for repair, (nor
would I expect FS to have accepted the camera I brought in in the first
place, but they DID because there was nothing cosmetically wrong with
it.) So here they are now, telling me that that is exactly what has
happened, that the camera had physical damage.

Either this is a huge scam that FS is pulling, ie, they have a few days
left on the warranty, and so damage or mishandle the camera in transit
to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
repair.

Right now, I'm waiting for another reply from FS's Vancouver office,
but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either
way, it's disgusting and infuriating.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:35:40 PM

weft2 wrote:
> [...]
> to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
> wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
> that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
> functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
> condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
> any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
> took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
> repair.
>
> Right now, I'm waiting for another reply from FS's Vancouver office,
> but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
> with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
> chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
> I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either

I occasionally write diatribes myself, and usually end up regretting
it. I've learned it's better not to send/publish them for a few days
after I write them or until the I've exhausted my options with the
other party. You still don't know what they're going to say, or what
your options are after you hear their decision. I think it's unfair to
title a post "not honored" when you don't know that yet. If and when
they refuse to honor a valid warranty, then blast it from the rooftops!
But until the fat lady sings, it's bad judgement to post this way.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 9:20:14 PM

weft2 wrote:

> Either this is a huge scam that FS is pulling, ie, they have a few days
> left on the warranty, and so damage or mishandle the camera in transit
> to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
> wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
> that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
> functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
> condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
> any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
> took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
> repair.

All FS is required to do is ensure what they sell you works. If you
buy a camera and it doesn't work, they HAVE to replace it, or refund
your money.

As far as handling warranty claims further down the road.. They do
this as a 'courtesy'. They don't HAVE to do this. (Your camera
is warranted by Fuji, not Future Shop).

I bought a Canon S100 a few years back from FS.. Six months later, it
developed a problem with the sensor. I dug up the address of the
warranty service depot in Canada and sent it in on my own.. I sent
it insured for the full value of the camera.

They fixed it and sent it back.. It still works to this day.

By not using a third party (FS) to send it in, I would up spending
about 20 bucks for shipping and insurance.. But I think it was worth
it.

If the camera had been damaged in shipping, it was insured.. I would
have lost nothing. If anything did happen, it would just be me and
Canon arguing, nobody else.

> Right now, I'm waiting for another reply from FS's Vancouver office,
> but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
> with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
> chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
> I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either
> way, it's disgusting and infuriating.
September 20, 2005 9:26:07 PM

salgud wrote:
> [...]
> > but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
> > with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
> > chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
> > I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either
> > way, it's disgusting and infuriating.
>
> I occasionally write diatribes myself, and usually end up regretting
> it. I've learned it's better not to send/publish them for a few days
> after I write them or until the I've exhausted my options with the
> other party. You still don't know what they're going to say, or what
> your options are after you hear their decision. I think it's unfair to
> title a post "not honored" when you don't know that yet. If and when
> they refuse to honor a valid warranty, then blast it from the rooftops!
> But until the fat lady sings, it's bad judgement to post this way.

I think the only bad judgement I showed was in buying a big ticket item
such as this from FS. BTW, they'd already given me their answer, hence
this post, and that answer was that the camera was damaged and
therefore not covered under the 1 year warranty. Period. That was their
answer, response, what have you, and that was what this post was about.

I also wouldn't call the original post a diatribe. It was a statement
of facts. The negative reaction they got to their assessment of my
claim is what gave them pause (the customer service woman seemed
genuinely shocked that I would balk at paying another $250 for repair
of my camera), and which then caused them to hem and haw, say they
would get RIGHT back to me, etc, etc. That was 2 days ago and I've
recv'd no response yet. Call me cynical, but given past experience with
big companies like this, the odds are very low that they will offer me
any satisfaction whatsoever or honour their contract. The onus is
likely now on me, it appears, to deal directly with Fuji.

BTW, at the time of handing over the camera, I did present the original
recpt., which FS made a photocopy of and attached to the repair claim.
I do see the point that some others made that they had to deal directly
with the original manufacturer when their cameras proved defective.
However, had I known FS (and I'm assuming it's FS making this final
decision here and NOT Fuji?) would act like this, I would have sprung
for the $20 to mail the camera myself back to Fuji in TO.

Even if I have to go the small claims court way, that is, if FS & Fuji
prove to be uncoperative, and all other better business routes fail,
the bottom line is that FS will have lost a customer who in the past
dropped a fair amount of money in their store, and will not do so in
the future. Ditto for any future Fuji purchases unless they come
through at their end.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 9:46:13 PM

"weft2" <weft2@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I have an older model Fuji F600 series (can't recall the exact model
> number right now, but it took very good pictures and I'm very attached
> to it), bought at Future Shop last year, that just died over 2 months
> ago, with only a few days before the 1 year warranty was up. I didn't
> purchase an extended warranty, though I was pressured to.
>
> I brought the camera in, as mentioned, with a few days left on the
> warranty and told them that the camera would not power on, period. The
> camera was in excellent cosmetic condition, that is, no visible outer
> signs of damage. It had never been dropped or handled roughly. It
> actually died while I was snapping shots. I tested the batteries, and
> put spare recharged ones in, and still no power.
>
> Anyway, I signed over the camera and charging cradle to the FS clerk,
> and she said because I had not purchased the extended warranty it
could
> be 1-2 months for repair. I wasn't thrilled, but there was nothing I
> could do about it. Almost 2 months later, I contacted my local FS, and
> they told me the camera was on its way back from Toronto to the local
> FS, supposedly repaired- though no details were provided.

Hi, I live in Toronto and have bought quite a few items from my local FS
I've never bought a camera there though. I've had a few problems with
products during the
years I have bought things there but they were always solved to my
satisfaction.

A few thoughts - After you handed over the camera to your local FS (I
presume you don't live in Toronto since you mentioned it was shipped
there), and as you said, its not likely you would hand in an obviously
damaged camera to FS and not likely they would accept it without making
a note on the receipt given to you regarding any obvious damages (if
that were the case I mean). Did you get a receipt from your local FS for
your camera? and were there any notes of damage on the receipt? Was it
noted on the receipt that at the point the camera was handed in to FS,
the camera was still under the manufacturers warranty?

Once you handed in your camera to your local FS, it was up to them to
pack the camera properly and ship the camera to Toronto then to Fuji.
From what you say, it seems to me you did what you were supposed to do.

I was greatly helped at my local FS store when I had problems, because
there was a good store Manager who was very fair. Have you spoken to
your local FS store manager and explain everything and tell him about
FS in Vancouver phoning you and what they said to you? Many local store
managers can be very helpful to customers in this situation. If he will
not support you, ask him the name and phone number or email address of
someone who is the best person for you you to complain to.
Also, when the Vancouver FS contact you again, ask them for the name and
phone number or email address of the CEO or FS in Vancouver. Then if it
was me,
I would contact that person. You need someone with higher authority who
can do something
for you. FS in Vancouver may think you will just accept their decision
and not question
it any further, but according to what you say, if it was me, I would
sure question it.

I think you could exhaust your FS sources before thinking about taking
it to Small Claims court, though its something to keep in mind. I've
never had to go further than the Manager at my local FS, but I would
have been prepared to go as high as I could go within the FS
organization or any other company if need be before taking other
courses. I've had a lot of experience with complaining about products or
unfair practices through the years and most times its paid off. I've
never had occasion to
go to an omnbudsman. Does FS have one?

Just my opinions/suggestions. I hope you can get somewhere.

Cathy

> A week later I get a call from FS's HQ in Vancouver telling me that
the
> camera was damaged, and that the "layers" had separated. I asked what
> that meant, and she said that the outside of the body was damaged, and
> that the chip or board inside was also damaged. The total cost to
> repair a $350 camera less than a year old would be $250 according to
> her.
>
> I was outraged and told her I would not accept this. The camera I
> handed over to the clerk at my local FS was in perfect cosmetic
> condition, although not functioning. I would never be so stupid as to
> expect a physically damaged camera to be accepted for repair, (nor
> would I expect FS to have accepted the camera I brought in in the
first
> place, but they DID because there was nothing cosmetically wrong with
> it.) So here they are now, telling me that that is exactly what has
> happened, that the camera had physical damage.
>
> Either this is a huge scam that FS is pulling, ie, they have a few
days
> left on the warranty, and so damage or mishandle the camera in transit
> to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
> wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
> that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
> functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
> condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
> any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
> took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
> repair.
>
> Right now, I'm waiting for another reply from FS's Vancouver office,
> but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
> with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim
court
> chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other
options.
> I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either
> way, it's disgusting and infuriating.

September 21, 2005 12:03:02 AM

On 20 Sep 2005 12:25:48 -0700, "weft2" <weft2@rogers.com> wrote:

> [...]
>to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
>wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
>that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
>functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
>condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
>any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
>took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
>repair.
>
>Right now, I'm waiting for another reply from FS's Vancouver office,
>but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
>with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
>chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
>I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either

Bummer - teach you to buy from Future Scrap!

I won't buy there anymore, they sold me a Kodak 280 a while ago, they told me it
had been "shown to a customer", thats why the box was open...

When I got home, the first picture showed number 61!!! The memory only held
21!!

Future Scrap are a bunch of thieves - stay away! I hope you sue the bastards!

Next time try to deal with the manufacturer of the camera.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:57:09 PM

> [...]

>to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
>wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
>that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
>functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
>condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
>any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
>took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
>repair.
>
>Right now, I'm waiting for another reply from FS's Vancouver office,
>but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
>with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
>chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
>I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either

We had an extended warranty claim with FS that has some
similarity. The function knob on an early Toshiba came off when it
was within the FS extended warranty period. When I took it to the
store I explained that I hadn't done anything to it and the clerk said
not to worry they had it happen to several. About five weeks later
the store called to say there was no warranty as I had pried the knob
off. Quelling my outrage I explained that I was in the hospital
taking pictures on my first born grandchild in the presence of four
adults who witnessed the failure and asked if they supposed I paused
to pry the camera apart during this momentous time in our lives.

They fixed it. Sort of. The knob was back on but the camera
was FUBAR. The LCD display was inverted and flipped and the image
quality was horrid. I had bought a new camera in the meantime and
hadn't used the Toshiba myself and the warranty had expired before I
discovered the mess it was in. FS extended warranty says they will
fix as good as new or replace the camera. They fixed it ok. They
also say they will give you a new one if they don't return the unit
repaired within six weeks. I got it back on the last day of the sixth
week. FS is not my cup of tea.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:57:10 PM

"John H" <iamnot@home.com> wrote in message
>They fixed it ok. They
> also say they will give you a new one if they don't return the unit
> repaired within six weeks. I got it back on the last day of the sixth
> week.
> FS is not my cup of tea.

Hi John!

You're right. If there's one thing I learned about cameras (computers,
etc.), is that service is very important. I would rather pay more, even 10
to 15% more to know that I'm going to be looked after after I bought and
used the thing. In Ottawa (Canada), I tell anyone who asks to go to a
reputable vendor. In my books, in my town, it's Henry's. Another one,
surprisingly, is Staples. OK, they don't have all the cameras, but their
prices are very competitive and their service is great. I remember having
problems with my Hewlet Packard Laser Jet 5MP and telling the manager at
Business Depot (Staples) that I had no one to help, and that I hadn't bought
my machine there, yet she helped ans solved my problem.

Finally, I was right to buy at Henry's and their price was still
competitive. When I went on a trip and found out that my Canon Pro 1 had
conked out, when I got back, they sent it for me, followed up to ensure that
Canon would repair under warranty (it was 2 weeks over the date upon my
return) and finally offered to trade it in (OK at 50% of its initial value,
yet great, because the value had gone down by $300, from roughly $1200 to
$900). I now have the Canon 350 (Rebel XT) with an extended warranty - this
much I learned with digital cameras.

Cheers,

Marcel
!