First time buying a (budget) gaming pc $1000

Pascal den Dekker

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Hey,

After wandering around on Tom's Hardware for a while I found out I'm in desperate need of help to prevent myself from spending money on a new gaming pc which most likely wouldn't function properly. This due to the fact that I lack too much knowledge about hardware and I simply don't have the time to ''learn'' everything right now.
I love the articles and reviews on this site and it provides me with alot of ''trust'' in the people who participate in all the writing, testing and advising here!

I'm looking for some good advice about what I should buy. Here's some questions asked that may help giving me better advice.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Next week
Budget Range: 900-1100 Euros (Before Shipping)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming
Are you buying a monitor: Yes. I have no idea which one yet. Minimum gaming resolution 1920x1080
Parts to Upgrade: Everything, buying a complete new system
Do you need to buy OS: Yes. (Most lightweight windows 7 version preferred to maybe enhance gaming performance)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.alternate.nl/com
Parts Preferences: Only thing I know for sure from reading the ''best gaming cpu for the money'' guides is that I would like an Intel-i5 3570K Ivy Bridge cpu.
Overclocking: No. (Don't know what it is exactly. Lack of knowledge)
SLI or Crossfire: No.
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200. Want to game at atleast one of these 2 resolutions or slightly higher. (Not sure if this wish will make things too complicated for giving advice).
Additional Comments:
-Soundlevels are not an issue. I would sign for soundlevels of an airplane taking off!
-Though I would like a case that gives all the hardware very good breathing space.
-Good cooling is a very important thing for me. (Not interested in liquid cooling)
-A case with nice ''out-of-sight'' cable options is preferred. I don't want a Micro-ATX size motherboard for example. (Not even 100% sure but I think that's the smallest type of motherboard).
-I would like an SSD for short loadingtimes.
-Atm I'm only raiding in World of Warcraft with a group of reallife friends twice a week. I'd like to play WoW on max settings at atleast 1920x1080. I'm going to play shooters like the new Battlefield with my friends too. This game is also preffered on max settings at atleast 1920x1080.

I'm going to buy all the parts at www.alternate.nl. I won't build the pc myself due to lack of knowledge and experience. Alternate is able to assemble all the parts and build the pc for me.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Pascal.

malbluff

Honorable
Is there an alternative site you can use, choices seem to be very limited on that one (unless I'm not using it correctly)
The sort of components which would be ideal, as the "backbone" of a system, if you don't wish to get involved with overclocking, might be:

CPU: i5-3450
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V
Graphics: Factory overclocked GTX660Ti, or Radeon 7850/7870
PSU: 500/550W Corsair/Seasonic/XFX
SSD: (if it can fit in budget) 128GB Samsung 830
Case: There are numerous good options, but not on that site.

Pascal den Dekker

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Thanks for the reply! I have some other options for where to buy the parts;
-www.azerty.nl
-www.zercom.eu
-www.4launch.nl

I noticed I haven't really been specific enough about my budget, apologies. $1100 is going to be the maximum. (1100 American Dollars, I messed up dollars with Euros in my frist post). According to valuta sites this is about 900 Euros as a maximum.
An SSD is a must, but should I buy a normal HD too?

I have no idea which of the GPUs you recommended will suit my budget better so I really don't know which one to pick. As for the Mobo, I can only tell that I like Asus, but that's just personal preference based on the way their hardware looks.
Corsair seems fine to me for the PSU.

Any advice about memory?

Thanks again! :)

malbluff

Honorable
You need ordinary hard drive, SSD is a nice extra to squeeze in, if budget allows. Given it's 900 euros, may have to make some compromises. It's more of a problem of selection on the website, in terms of suggesting best value for money components. Will try those other sites (have similar problem with Denmark). In the worst case, I'll have to give you a list of components, and you'll have to "shop around".

malbluff

Honorable
I thought I may have difficulties finding the ideal mix of components on one, or even two websites.
What I have done is put together a list of "optimum" components, based on a UK budget of £800. It should be possible for you to source all of these products, locally, but I obviously can't guarantee at what price. I have had to make some compromises, with your budget in mind.

CPU: Intel i5-3450
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP (you could get the micro version of this and save money)
MEM: Corsair Vengeance 4GB(2x2GB) 1600C9 DDR3
Hard Drive: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4
GPU: MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 (would be nice to stretch budget to HD7870, or GTX660Ti)
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 (you should make your choice of what look you like)
PSU: Corsair 500W 80 Plus cert. (you may have to stretch to a Seasonic, slightly more expensive, but seem easier to get on continent)
Opt Dr: Sony AD-7280-OB DVD/CD
Oper Sys: Windows 7 HP 64bit
Monitor: 23" LG IPS5235V-BN (reasonable budget IPS monitor. You can get cheaper with TN screen, or of course smaller).

I would suggest you can check local availability and prices, easier. Don't know why there aren't more sites on continent, with decent range. Had similar problems, for someone in Denmark. Got most from Germany. If you have problems getting anything, I will try to suggest alternatives.

secretGamer

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I just filled my shopping cart on new egg with this build exceptions:

Went with the gtx660ti upgrade.
Lite on black DVD rom
No monitor
No OS

Fort those just surfing for good builds, 879.91 befor taxes, 956.90 after tax @ newegg.com

About $13 of shipping but I live down the street from them.