Sign in with
Your question

Build a home server mainly for media streaming

Last response: in CPUs
January 24, 2013 1:00:45 AM

Hello everyone! :hello: 

I have made up my mind to build a home server after I found that my PS3 system can stream media from a media server and there exists a software called PS3 media server that allows my PS3 to stream any type of videos from a server.

As you can see that the PS3 media server uses a transcoding-on-the-fly method to transcode media so that the PS3 can play. I think I need a more powerful CPU for this task(since in my research people says a normal dual core CPU can handle the job if it is not a transcoding-on-the-fly).

My problem is I haven't built one before and I don't know what server CPU is enough for this task. In addition, the home server should be okay to handle a transcoding-on-the-fly for the PS3 streaming, and some other streaming tasks for other computers(my family have 4 PCs in the network) at the same time.

And what operating system should I install on this server? I have a copy of Windows Server 2012 Essential and Windows Server 2012 Datacenter. Are they appropriate for my needs?

I will be very appreciated if anyone can give me some ideas of this server build at minimum price.

Thank you in advance!
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 1:36:27 AM

You don't need something really powerfull and you don't need a Windows server either. I once used this streaming option and i could listen to my music, listen to my videos and look at my pictures with a basic 1 core processor. It depends on your network. If you have a lot of computers (ipod, consoles etc.) connected to the network, it might not be at it's best but will still work great. It's not something demanding at all.

- The Brownie
m
l
January 24, 2013 2:35:29 AM

Bromeh said:
You don't need something really powerfull and you don't need a Windows server either. I once used this streaming option and i could listen to my music, listen to my videos and look at my pictures with a basic 1 core processor. It depends on your network. If you have a lot of computers (ipod, consoles etc.) connected to the network, it might not be at it's best but will still work great. It's not something demanding at all.

- The Brownie

Thank you Brownie!

Most of my video clips are HD and can a one-core home server be able to transcode-on-the-fly it?

Thanks!
m
l
!