Your favorite source of camera reviews?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 21, 2005 2:09:52 AM

In my limited experience, I find that Dpreview is good, but "Steve's
Digicams" is a bit too optimistic about image quality.

I'd like to hear what sites other folks like.
--
David Arnstein |
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com |

David Arnstein wrote:
> In my limited experience, I find that Dpreview is good, but "Steve's
> Digicams" is a bit too optimistic about image quality.
>
> I'd like to hear what sites other folks like.
> --
> David Arnstein |
> arnstein+usenet@pobox.com |

I've been shopping for a digital camera for about 2 months (the money
is coming in next month). I've used these sites as my primary sources
of information too. I think they're both good. I think dpreview is more
critical than Steve's also. But I like Steve's because I can compare
photos from 2 cameras side by side. That's been one of the major tools
I've used in selecting a Canon A520 over it's competitors.
I can see the differences in color, noise, resolution, etc.
Mostly I've been thinking how nice internet shopping for a complex,
sophisticated device like a digital camera. I can see and read reviews
of the device itself, the interface, overall specifications and even
compare images! I also read a number of reviews by end users which
helped a lot. I certainly didn't have anywhere near the amount of
information when I chose my Nikon EL2 over a Canon AE1 twenty-some
years ago!
Of course, you have to be careful. I've spent almost as much time
researching potential internet stores. "Caveat emptor!" has never been
more true than on the internet! When I have final figures on it all,
I'm going to take them to one or two local camera stores to see if they
can come close. I'd still rather give my business to a local merchant
who had the camera in stock for me to look at if I don't have to pay
too high of a premium.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:19:36 AM

David Arnstein wrote:

> In my limited experience, I find that Dpreview is good, but "Steve's
> Digicams" is a bit too optimistic about image quality.
>
> I'd like to hear what sites other folks like.
> --
> David Arnstein |
> arnstein+usenet@pobox.com |

I agree about Steve. he always gushes about Olympus cameras even when
you know the one (say the C-720) is a dog.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

> In my limited experience, I find that Dpreview is good, but "Steve's
> Digicams" is a bit too optimistic about image quality.
>
> I'd like to hear what sites other folks like.
> --
> David Arnstein |

Another one for your list:- http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Geoff.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 4:04:10 AM

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:09:52 +0000 (UTC), arnstein@panix.com (David
Arnstein) wrote:

>In my limited experience, I find that Dpreview is good, but "Steve's
>Digicams" is a bit too optimistic about image quality.
>
>I'd like to hear what sites other folks like.

Fred Miranda's review section but it's limited to Canon and Nikon
DSLR's but why get anything else unless it would be a Lecia?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/index.php

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 4:19:26 AM

Salgud wrote:
> David Arnstein wrote:
> > In my limited experience, I find that Dpreview is good, but "Steve's
> > Digicams" is a bit too optimistic about image quality.
> I think dpreview is more critical than Steve's also. But I like Steve's
> because I can compare photos from 2 cameras side by side...

Likewise, Jeff Keller's DCRP and its sample photo pages. As in Steve's
Digicam, Jeff provides short movie clips to demonstrate the model's video
capability too. This is not common in other sites. His comments are
succinct and dependable.
http://www.dcresource.com/

Other review sites which I find a cut above the rest are:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM
http://www.megapixel.net/
http://www.digit.no/wip4/test.epl
http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/

Of course, there are many other good ones but they are less consistent.

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

Arnstein) wrote:

>In my limited experience, I find that Dpreview is good, but "Steve's
>Digicams" is a bit too optimistic about image quality.
>
>I'd like to hear what sites other folks like.

Here, r.p.d

That's why I subscribe.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 8:06:12 AM

KennyJr wrote:
> In article <1127255075.297474.176370@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> davegb@safebrowse.com says...
> > That's been one of the major tools
> > I've used in selecting a Canon A520 over it's competitors.
> >

> I bought my wife an A510 which is a 3.2 megapixel version of the A520.
> You won't be disappointed. The camera is small enough to fit in your
> shirt pocket yet has plenty of features. It has everything from full
> auto to full manual shutter, aperture, and focus.
>
> Make sure you get several sets of good NiMH batteries. She uses
> Energizer 2300mAh NiMH batteries and gets more than 100 shots on a
> charge. Forget about alkaline batteries, less than 50 shots.

Thanks, Kenny. I've already been shopping online for batteries, a
charger, a 256M memory card, a card reader and a case. A good set of
batteries and a smart charger will be the second biggetst expense next
to the camera itself, but having worked at Radio Shack and listened to
the customers who came in getting rechargeable batteries for their
digital cameras, I know how fast they burn up batteries! Am planning to
get a thread going on smart chargers and who has had good or bad
experiences with different ones.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:10:58 AM

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:09:52 +0000 (UTC), arnstein@panix.com (David
> Arnstein) wrote:
>
> >In my limited experience, I find that Dpreview is good, but "Steve's
> >Digicams" is a bit too optimistic about image quality.
> >
> >I'd like to hear what sites other folks like.
>
> Fred Miranda's review section but it's limited to Canon and Nikon
> DSLR's but why get anything else unless it would be a Lecia?

Gee, hard to believe anyone would buy anything but a DSLR! Can't
imagine someone not wanting to lug one around all day, every day. All
you idiots buying something other than a Canon or Nikon DLSR, you
should be ashamed!
Oops! I'm buying a P&S! What an idiot I must be!
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:13:43 PM

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2005 07:10:58 -0700, "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> wrote:
>

> >John A. Stovall wrote:

> >> Fred Miranda's review section but it's limited to Canon and Nikon
> >> DSLR's but why get anything else unless it would be a Lecia?
> >>

> >Gee, hard to believe anyone would buy anything but a DSLR! Can't
> >imagine someone not wanting to lug one around all day, every day. All
> >you idiots buying something other than a Canon or Nikon DLSR, you
> >should be ashamed!
> >Oops! I'm buying a P&S! What an idiot I must be!
>
> Yes, you are. Think quality...

I am, just in a much larger frame of reference than you can comprehend.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:38:23 PM

On 21 Sep 2005 04:06:12 -0700, "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> wrote:

>KennyJr wrote:
>> In article <1127255075.297474.176370@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> davegb@safebrowse.com says...
>> > That's been one of the major tools
>> > I've used in selecting a Canon A520 over it's competitors.
>> >

>> I bought my wife an A510 which is a 3.2 megapixel version of the A520.
>> You won't be disappointed. The camera is small enough to fit in your
>> shirt pocket yet has plenty of features. It has everything from full
>> auto to full manual shutter, aperture, and focus.
>>
>> Make sure you get several sets of good NiMH batteries. She uses
>> Energizer 2300mAh NiMH batteries and gets more than 100 shots on a
>> charge. Forget about alkaline batteries, less than 50 shots.

>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
>
>Thanks, Kenny. I've already been shopping online for batteries, a
>charger, a 256M memory card, a card reader and a case. A good set of
>batteries and a smart charger will be the second biggetst expense next
>to the camera itself, but having worked at Radio Shack and listened to
>the customers who came in getting rechargeable batteries for their
>digital cameras, I know how fast they burn up batteries! Am planning to
>get a thread going on smart chargers and who has had good or bad
>experiences with different ones.

For batteries and chargers, try thomas-distributing.com
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:57:10 PM

On 21 Sep 2005 07:10:58 -0700, "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> wrote:

>John A. Stovall wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:09:52 +0000 (UTC), arnstein@panix.com (David
>> Arnstein) wrote:
>>
>> >In my limited experience, I find that Dpreview is good, but "Steve's
>> >Digicams" is a bit too optimistic about image quality.
>> >
>> >I'd like to hear what sites other folks like.
>>
>> Fred Miranda's review section but it's limited to Canon and Nikon
>> DSLR's but why get anything else unless it would be a Lecia?
>>

>Gee, hard to believe anyone would buy anything but a DSLR! Can't
>imagine someone not wanting to lug one around all day, every day. All
>you idiots buying something other than a Canon or Nikon DLSR, you
>should be ashamed!
>Oops! I'm buying a P&S! What an idiot I must be!

Yes, you are. Think quality...

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:26:31 PM

On 21 Sep 2005 08:13:43 -0700, "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> wrote:

>John A. Stovall wrote:

>> >Gee, hard to believe anyone would buy anything but a DSLR! Can't
>> >imagine someone not wanting to lug one around all day, every day. All
>> >you idiots buying something other than a Canon or Nikon DLSR, you
>> >should be ashamed!
>> >Oops! I'm buying a P&S! What an idiot I must be!
>>
>> Yes, you are. Think quality...
>>

>I am, just in a much larger frame of reference than you can comprehend.

It is truly limited if you can frame it.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:52:19 PM

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2005 08:13:43 -0700, "salgud" <davegb@safebrowse.com> wrote:
>

> >John A. Stovall wrote:

> >> Yes, you are. Think quality...
> >>

> >I am, just in a much larger frame of reference than you can comprehend.
>
> It is truly limited if you can frame it.

Never said or implied my frame of reference wasn't limited, only much
broader than yours...
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 7:51:14 PM

I find

http://www.exc.com/Photography

to be helpful for what it has. It's only of the only places where you see
user reviews right away. For "professional" reviews (often paid for bythe
camera companies?) I like magazines better.

SN
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 8:08:54 PM

Frank,
I always appreciate a sense of humor. :-)
Paul

!