Upgrading PC for gaming+streaming live.

Noispaxen

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Hello!

So I would like to upgrade my a bit outdated PC, so I can play (mainly StarCraft2, but also some new releases) and stream live while playing.

I already have a motherboard ASRock 970DE3/U3S3 and CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 612S that I would like to use (unless it's really not worth going for AMD or something).

Also, currently my PC has a few components that I think could stay for now:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB GDDR3
Power supply: Chieftec CFT-750-14CS (750W)
HDD: Seagate Baracuda 7200 500GB

I would be really thankful if you could suggest me which parts to keep and what CPU and RAM I should get for it.
I'm able to spend quite some money on it, but at the same time unless necessary I don't really want to unless the performance is going to improve significantly. The graphic card I would be glad if could stay for now, since I feel like I didn't even have much chance to use it since I got it :p And I guess I can always change it next year or so. Is the 896MB on it enough, though?

I am not sure how many cores are useful for gaming + streaming, does streaming use additional ones?
I was considering the FX-6100/FX-8120 CPUs, but I kinda lack knowledge ;)

Oh, and I'm using Samsung SyncMaster P2250 screen with 1920x1080 resolution.

Thanks!

Be sure you have bios file 1.10 if you keep your current board to run the 6100 (check the post screen at the top and flash with your old cpu only if needed). The 8100 is a energy pig and more expensive; the 6100 should suite your needs.

Noispaxen

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Oh, I'm not using the board yet, I won it along with the cooler in some tournament and just thought I might build something on it. I don't have any CPU that would go into it's socket so I don't think I can check it in any way?

What about the FX-6100 compared to Phenom X6 then? Because I heard that Phenom is actually better for playing, but FX better for video encoding? So how would that go with gaming+streaming video at the same time?

Thank you!

Noispaxen

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Well, I guess I could spend around 500$ on the CPU+RAM. That said, I don't necessarily want to spend it all if I there isn't big performance difference compared to something considerably cheaper.

kcsmacker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Well I hate to be an intel fanboy here. I used to love amd but intel just makes amazing CPUs right now. You could get a 3570k and a good z77 motherboard for about 300 bucks. about 40-50 bucks more and you have 8 gb of ram.

Truthfully though If you are wanting to play mainly starcraft maybe amd will be fine. How is the GPU working for you right now? For hardware the CPU and GPU are going to matter most after about 4gb of ram. For the streaming aspect of it all it depends a lot on your internet connection.

Noispaxen

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Well, I am actually playing on laptop for over 1year now, and I was streaming only from it, didn't try streaming from the desktop, but I think the CPU just wouldn't be able to handle it there at the moment.
I know that StarCraft actually sugests all graphic settings at Ultra with the GPU, but I prefer playing with everything on low, so I'm pretty sure it should run fine. Might have some problems if I try something newer, but the thing is I might be moving to completely different part of the world next year and then I'm not gonna use it anymore anyways.
If it helps anything, my laptop has Intel Core i5-460M and Radeon HD5730 and altough it's enough for streaming with 1366x768 resolution, my FPS often gets pretty low and the CPU is working on 100%.

Also, the streaming isn't going to be in super good quality, because I can't get more than 1mb upload sadly.

Noispaxen

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Soo, I would like to make the order, can anyone tell me wether to go for Phenom X6 or FX-8120?

And should I pick pretty much any RAM or some are better than the others? :> Is Kingstone okay?
Maybe this one:
Kingston HyperX 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 Intel XMP X2 Grey Series (KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX)