Sign in with
Your question

GTAA:IV - Higher settings = more FPS?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 22, 2012 11:20:32 AM

I have an ATI Radeon HD6450 1GB. Now I decided to mess around with GTA:IV's settings for a bit to try and get more than the awful FPS I was getting (20 odd fps). I turned it up to max settings just to see what the game looked like (knew it would be an unplayable FPS) and... the performance improved.
I find it perfect at a mostly high area where I get 27-45 FPS outside and 50-60FPS inside. Why is this?
The game thinks I am above my limit for my GPU (1008Mb). I have 2.8GB of Dynamic Memory, though by going over I didn't expect THIS much of an increase, in fact I expected the FPS to be much lower. I'm not complaining of course... but it puzzles me.
The game froze for a second when I applied the settings and my graphics card's fan sped up.

I am running at only 1280x768 but on lower settings I get shitty performance even at lower resolutions, like 800x600 or whatever it was.
July 22, 2012 12:10:44 PM

have you turn on "vsync" if yes, then turn it off also decrease draw distance shadow must be on medium.
July 22, 2012 12:24:15 PM

At low settings, GTA4 uses less GPU than CPU. When you increase the settings the game uses more GPU power thats why you see improvement in fps.

GTA4 always runs better with faster CPUs. Not GPU.

And also dont base your hardware with GTA4, there is GTA5 coming.
Who knows if the new game will take advantage of GPU more than the CPU.
Related resources
July 22, 2012 12:26:03 PM

As with settings try putting your draw distance at 20 then detail distance at 50. And set vehicle density at 60. Then shadows at high, night shadows medium or off and everything else at very high. Also set anisotropic filtering at 16x.
July 22, 2012 1:47:05 PM

flowingbass said:
As with settings try putting your draw distance at 20 then detail distance at 50. And set vehicle density at 60. Then shadows at high, night shadows medium or off and everything else at very high. Also set anisotropic filtering at 16x.

Only 14FPS at that, and I always had VSYNC off.
July 22, 2012 2:03:07 PM

well thats another thing, GTA4 requires quite a good amount of vram. I would suggest anyone going to play that game have perhapds a 1.5GB of vram ready to use. Dynamic ram is sorta irrelevant. The only things you need to worry about is vram and a bottleneck between your cpu and gpu
July 22, 2012 4:01:14 PM

I'm not worried about performance, I can run on nearly max with 40FPS for some reason. I just want to know WHY xD
Thanks
July 22, 2012 4:24:46 PM

It could be that having lower settings doesn't stress your gpu enough, so it doesn't "wake up". Gpus downclock themselves when they are idling or under light load to save power. If a game doesn't give it enough stress, it will stay there. I have that exact issue with Minecraft. My frame rate can sometimes stick around 40 or so, and other times it will get into the hundreds.
July 24, 2012 12:18:57 PM

Ah, that would explain it. Funny to have such features in such a cheap GPU...
PS: I get like 200FPS in Minecraft on a 64x texture pack xD
!