Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please Check My Build [$800 Gaming PC]

Last response: in Systems
September 9, 2012 2:36:55 PM

Hey, I made a build here I'd like you guys to check out and OK before I start purchasing. Let me know if there are better deals going on or if I picked incompatible parts. Thanks.

Approximate Purchase Date: 09/20/2012-10/04/2012

Budget Range: $800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: I need to get a new everything except for a PSU.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I prefer Newegg since it's tax free but I'll order from Amazon if the price difference out weighs the tax + shipping since I'm a Prime member.

Parts Preferences: No real preferences other than Intel CPUs as long as the parts are reliable. I'd rather pay a couple dollars more for say a Western Digital than a Seagate to not deal with DOAs, returns, etc.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: My main games right now are Bethesda/Bioware RPGs, Saints Row the Third, and WoW. I'll probably be playing a lot of Black Ops 2 when it comes out. Aesthetics does matter a little bit so I'd rather have a nicer looking case than say the NZXT Gamma Classic.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I work far enough from home now that finding a cheap apartment with a roomie is about the same cost as the commute. I'll be staying at a second location five days a week so I'd like a budget PC to keep around.

Here are some parts I've picked out already:

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor:
Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220

Memory:
Free with motherboard.

Graphics:
HIS IceQ X H785QN2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Power Supply:
I have an XFX Core Edition PRO550W I'll be using

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CD Drive:
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Case:
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Total: $749.93 not including rebates and shipping.

What do you think?

More about : check build 800 gaming

September 9, 2012 3:45:18 PM

That's all fine together. If there is any money left in kitty, it may be worth a bit of "shopping around" to see if you can get a good deal on a HD7870. There are some deals, around, and you could get one for $30 more. Worth it for the performance boost.
m
l
September 10, 2012 5:09:51 AM

I'm actually thinking about upgrading the CPU to an i5-3570k and downgrading the GPU to a HIS iCooler 7770 until I can afford a GTX 670 for some future proofing rather than a quick solution.

I have a question about SSD's though (I've never had one). If I hold off buying one until later do I have to buy a new copy of Windows? Or can I just format my HDD and re-install it on the SSD?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 10, 2012 11:33:51 AM

That sounds fine, motherboard is ok for that. If you want to overclock CPU, you will need an aftermarket CPU cooler, before you do, the stock cooler, supplid with CPU is not adequate for that. Something like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, is more than adequate for modest overclocking.
On OS, you only need to buy new one if you change motherboard.
September 10, 2012 4:41:50 PM

Best answer selected by anitechno.
m
l
!